Avatar Hallelujah Mountain is one of the most spectacular natural highlights in Hunan province of the People’s Republic of China, part of the South Central China region .The park is notable for a large number of peaks-pillars made of sandstone and quartz, the most picturesque of which is the “Southern Sky Column” and was renamed “Avatar Mountains” in honor of the well-known movie.
The Avatar Hallelujah Mountain were formed back in the Mesozoic era, and over millions of years in the process of weathering and washing out of sandstones and limestones, more than 3000 pointed rocks were formed, many of which reach 800-1000 meters in height. Today, cliffs and mountain crevices are overgrown with abundant vegetation and pine trees. Rivers and lakes, sometimes beautiful waterfalls, flow through deep gorges.
The mountains are a picturesque sight: huge stone pillars above the rainforest, indented sharp peaks, waterfalls, a giant cave system, powerful rivers suitable for rafting.
The highest peak is called the “Rabbit looking at the moon” – from there, an incredible view of the surroundings opens up. Heitsunnao Stone Peak is famous for centuries-old pine trees. The Yellow Dragon Cave has four levels and a unique landscape. There is also the picturesque Tianzu mountain with the Kunlun peak – “Abode of the Gods”.
The Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, The world famous Zhangjiajie Park, or rather the wider area, the Wulingyuan Scenic Area, is the first Chinese park to receive the status of a UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage Site ,which has been awarded the highest tourism rating “AAAAA” by the State Tourism Administration of China, has 3 million visitors a year.
The amazing cliffs of this unique park have become real prototypes of the world famous “soaring Hallelujah mountains”.At the end of 2018, the park operates: 5 cable cars, including the longest in the world – 7.5 km (about 30 minutes on the way), the fastest panoramic elevator in the world, three unique glass bridges.
In 1992, Wulingyuan was officially recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. It was approved by the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources, as a National Forest Geopark (3600 km²) in 2001. In 2004, the Zhangjiajie Geopark was listed as a UNESCO Global Geopark.
Access : Coordinates: 29.160833, 110.416111 / Zhangjiajie National Park is a 5-minute drive from Zhangjiajie City and a 15-minute drive from Zhangjiajie Lotus International Airport.
- Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, known as Avatar Park, is located in the northwest of Hunan province in China and is part of the huge Wulingyuan Scenic Area.
- The Wulingyuan Mountains inspired director James Cameron to create the “fluttering” or “hanging” Hallelujah mountains in Avatar. After rain or early in the morning, the rocky Wulingyuan mountains seem to “hang” in the clouds, as their foot is not visible.The Chinese were very grateful to director Cameron for advertising their park, and in 2010 renamed the Southern Heavenly Column Avatar Hallelujah in gratitude. In addition, in the park, in different places, there are statues of the heroes of the film, with which every visitor can take pictures.
- Walking along the mountain path, you can go down on the highest external glass elevator in the world – Bailong, where the ticket price is 43 yuan, from where you can return to Wulingyuan by a free bus.
- Walking walk along the suspended glass road “Heavenly Way”, the total length of which is 1600 meters at an altitude of 1400 meters.
- Glass Elevator Bailong (Bailong Elevator | Hundred Dragon Elevator) : The Hundred Dragons Elevator is the tallest open lift in the world. It takes tourists to the top of a 330-meter steep slope in the heart of Zhangjiajie Park
- Natural bridge number 1 (The First Bridge under Heaven | Tianxia Diyi Qiao) or “Bridge over the sky” is a kind of unique in the world, unique natural creation. At an altitude of 357 meters, it connects the peaks of two rocks. Its length is 50 meters, width – 4 meters, thickness – 5 meters. It is the tallest natural bridge in the world.
- Climb on the longest mountain cable car in the world (7.5 km, travel time 28 minutes).
- “Winding Dragon” glass bridge on Mount Tanmen with special effects: as soon as a person steps on the glass, cracks immediately spread across it.
- The cliffs are surrounded by route belts made of stones and even glass, connected by giant bridges.
- Visit to the Buddhist center on the mountain using the open cable car (800 meters). Panoramic drive along a mountain serpentine road (99 turns).
- Ascent to the Tanmen cave (132 meters high, 57 meters wide) : Travelers who do not want to climb the 999 steps to the cave can stay in the teahouse at the foot and taste the famous imperial yellow tea Yin Zhen, which is produced only in this region.
- Mount Tanmen is famous for a giant “window” in the rock called the “Heavenly Gate”. This is the highest mountain cave in the world, which was formed in 263 as a result of an earthquake.
- Views open from observation platforms bearing the poetic names “Five beauties go hiking”, “The bridge between heaven and earth” and “Enchanting scene”.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities, Here the mountains really seem to be floating. The area is popular among photographers / Get a lot of impressions on the glass walkway at 1430 m!
Go next : The Yellow Lion Village / The ancient city of Fenghuang (Phoenix) / Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon / Red Stone Forest / Aizhai suspension bridge.