Avoriaz is a ski resort in France, one of 12 stations in the famous ski area Portes du Soleil.( Portes du Soleil is the name of the French-Swiss winter sports area in the Haute-Savoie department and in the canton of Valais ) Located in the geographical area of Chablais, between Mont Blanc and Lake Geneva.
The resort consists of five villages: De la Falaise, De Crozat, De Ruche, De Dromont, De Haute. The Avoriaz resort is located near the Swiss border. in the heart of the Portes du Soleil area, one of the largest in Europe with 650 km of slopes. It was built on a high (1800 m) plateau, surrounded by pine forests and mountain ranges.The village has about 150 permanent inhabitants. Most of the businesses close outside the winter and summer seasons.
The exterior of the resort was designed by a group of young architects in the 60s ,The first skiers arrived at the newly built resort in 1966. From the very beginning of its existence, Avoria has developed as an ecological clean resort. Therefore, the cars is still prohibited there. On the streets, which are at the same time ski tracks, only horse-drawn carriages go, The resort can accommodate up to 17,000 guests at a time.
The region has 250 tracks, the length of which reaches 650 km. The slopes are served by 38 lifts. The resort has a snow park and a cross-country ski area. There are separate slopes for children.
Clean air, alpine landscapes, high-quality slopes and developed infrastructure invariably attract tourists here from different parts of the world.Ski Schools The resort is popular with intermediate and professional athletes, but both beginner skiers and snowboarders are welcome.
Avoriaz is known for its many slope facilities for children, teenagers and older children Riglet park, kids parkway, snowcross …. One of its parks, The Stash, was voted the best spot in the world in 2014 by the American channel CNN. It is an immense network of tracks drawn in the forest and strewn with modules in wood and snow.
In 2012, Avoriaz expanded with the creation of a district of 4-star residences and a district of 5-star residences. The station is included in the list of the snowiest ski resorts in Europe. The thickness of the cover here reaches 8 meters. For travelers there are many hotels of different categories, most of which offer direct access to the slope. Avoriaz has an extensive entertainment infrastructure. For tourists,more than 30 cafes, bars, clubs and restaurants about 40 stores several SPA salons gym rink golf course squash courts bowling cinema concert hall. Festivals and other events are often held in the village.
Access : Coordinates: / The nearest airport is Geneva (80 km). two hours by car or bus. The nearest train station is Thonon Les Bains.
/ The Avoriaz resort is accessible by road via the D338, a road accessible from the village of Morzine all year round. This same road joins Montriond via the Lindarets valley and the eponymous hamlet. – drive your own car, take the Autoroute Blance (A41 / E25), then turn onto Bonneville and then follow the signs.
/ The closest train stations to the village are at Cluses (28 km) and Thonon-les-Bains (35 km), from which you can take a taxi directly to the gates of the ski complex.
- Avoriaz is equipped with: 38 lifts: 19 chairlifts, 6 drag lifts, and 3 cabins 42 tracks (150 km), of which 3 are green, 21 are blue, 14 are red, 4 are black Cross-country skiing trails (39 km): 1 green, 3 blue, 2 red, 2 black Snow parks: Superpipe, Bordercross, La Chapelle, Arare, Stash, Burton Kids Parkway.
- The station has obtained several labels. In 2016, Avoriaz 1800 was classified as “New snow sports resorts” “Large area resorts” “Club stations” “Soft mountain” “Club” and “Alti-forme”.
- In 2013, Avoriaz received the ECO Award, rewarding “the most innovative ski resort in the world in terms of sustainable development”, on the occasion of the Worlds Snow Awards. The previous year, the resort had already obtained the Best family resort award.
- In 2018, Avoriaz received the Best European Ski Resort, Best Family Ski Resort and Best Snowboarding Resort awards.
- In 2020, the station was chosen by the Auvergne Rhone Alpes region as the first destination to test hydrogen with a station and 10 bicycles for an amount of 450,000 euros.
- In 2020, it finally signs the 1st Safe Guard Label with Bureau Veritas France, thus appearing as the first labeled destination after the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Cars cannot be used within the country. This particularity makes the town characteristic, which was born on the ski slopes. The town is very popular in the winter. In summer Avoriaz is open from the end of June to the beginning of September, where you can practice various activities such as golf, tennis, archery, via ferrata, mountain biking, hiking and other sports activities.
- Within the resort complex there is a Children’s Village – “Village Des Enfants” (3–16 years old), where children learn the basics of alpine skiing under the guidance of the Olympic champion Annie Famoz.
Activities : snowshoeing, skiing; paragliding , helicopter tours, sledding , downhill sledging, cycling on snow and ice , hot air ballooning. / Aquariaz water park / golf course , squash courts , bowling , cinema , concert hall.
Go next : Morzine is the largest town in the Portes du Soleil area. / Châtel is a village on the border with Switzerland / Les Gets is an alpine village situated on the Col des Gets between Morzine and Taninges.