The Bucegi Mountains are located south of the city Brasov on the eastern edge of the Southern Carpathians in Romania.The Bucegi Mountains are part of the so-called Bucegi-Leaota-Piatra Craiului group, one of four major mountain groups in the Southern Carpathians.
Of the four main groups, it is the easternmost and is divided as follows: The Bucegi Mountains (highest peak: Omu peak with 2507 m), the Leaota Mountains (highest peak: Leaota peak with 2133 m) and the Piatra- Craiului Mountains / Konigssteingebirge (highest peak: La Om peak with 2238 m). This also includes the Rucar-Bran highlands.
This mountainous region of Romania has one of the largest concentrations of large carnivores in Europe. Bears, wolves and lynxes have in this natural park and in the rest of the mountain range one of their last refuges in Europe. It is also possible to spot deer, wild boar and deer in lush forests.
The highest areas are natural habitat of the chamois. It is believed that the Bucegi are the sacred Thracian mountain of Kogainon, in which the mythical figure of Zalmoxis resided in a cave.There is a very rich literature on the subject of mysteries and paranormal phenomena in Bucegi. According to legends , the Bucegi Mountains would be littered with mysterious places, highly energized areas, where the apparatus is triggered alone or people experience strange symptoms, portals through which people disappear and appear in other places, at a great distance.
Bucegi is also said to be littered with underground tunnels for tens of kilometers, but also for places where people miraculously heal themselves due to “living water” and “mouths of heaven.” Being of great structural and morphological complexity, the massif appears as a natural fortress, with the enclosure suspended at 1600 – 2500 m, supported by strong slopes.
The mountains are grouped in three Main ranges : Bucegi Mountains (Omu Peak – 2505 meters) , Leaota Mountains (Leaota Peak – 2133 meters) , Piatra Craiului Mountains (Baciului Peak – 2238 meters)
List of peaks : Coștila Peak (2490 m) , Omu Peak (2505 m) , Bucura Peak (2503 m)
, Bucșoiu Peak (2492 m) , Coștila Peak (2490 m) , Obârșia Peak (2480 m) , Caraiman Peak (2384 m) , Babele Peak (2294 m) , Jepii Mici Peak (2143 m) , Jepii Mari Peak (2071 m)
Piatra Arsă Peak (2044 m) , Furnica Peak (2103 m) , Peak with Dor (2030 m) , Cocora Peak (2191 m) , Lăptici Peak (1872 m , Blana Peak (1875 m) , Oboarele Peak (1707 m)
Dichiu Peak (1713 m) , Grohotișu Peak (2108 m) , Strungile Mari Peak (2089 m) ,
, Ungaua Strunga Peak (1909 m) , Tătarii Peak (1998 m) , Deleanu Peak (1901 m)
Lucăcilă Peak (1895 m) , Zănoaga Peak (1788 m)
The well-developed mountain with an area of about 300 square kilometers has numerous mountain huts and in the vicinity of the spa town of Sinaia numerous cable cars and ski lifts. In addition to skiing, activities such as alpinism, sport climbing and mountain biking are practiced. The north of the Bucegi Mountains, including the Omul, is protected as a national park. Furthermore, the mountains are known for its interesting rock formations. Worth mentioning are primarily the Babele and Bucegi-Sphinx.
The Bucegi is believed to be the Dacian holy mountain Kogainon, on which the God Zalmoxis resided in a cave, Bucegi Mountains are bordered by Prahova Valley, area with the most ski resorts in Romania. Moreover, since 1935, a part of Bucegi Mountains has been included in the list of protected areas in Romania, with national park status.
Access : Coordinates: 45.445556, 25.456111 / The access to the localities from where you can go in the Bucegi Massif is easy, especially in the resorts on the Prahova Valley, both on DN1 and on the main railway line that connects Bucharest to Brasov. You can also reach the southern part, on DN71 (Târgoviște-Sinaia) to the town of Moroeni, or by train on the Bucharest-Târgoviște-Pietroșița railway.
/ By plane :
The nearest international airport is Bucharest-Otopeni Airport (distance about 122 km, two hours drive by car)./ By bus :
Busteni is also accessible via the intercity bus from Brasov. / By car : Busteni can be reached from both sides of the Prahova Valley (as well as Brasov in the north and Ploiesti in the south) on the E60. From Bucharest you have to follow the A3 motorway towards Ploiesti and then change to the E60.
- Bucegi Mălăiești Nature Reserve : Within the Bucegi Mountains, on the territory of Brasov county, there are some objectives put under protection, which have the status of natural reserve: Abruptul Bucșoiu , Valea Mălăiești and Valea Gaura, where, due to the fact that the number of tourists is lower, the ones were withdrawn more black goats from this massif.
- The Cross of the Heroes of the Nation : The Cross of the Heroes of the Nation, of historical and tourist importance, is a monument built between 1926-1928 on Mount Caraiman, to honor the memory of the Romanian heroes who fell in the First World War.
- Urlatoarea Waterfall – hydrological importance, located at a distance of 1½ hours walking from Busteni.
- Bucegi Natural Park : The surface of the park is 32663 ha, of which 60% forest fund and 30% alpine meadows. The park administration is located in Moroeni commune, Dâmbovița County.
- Barley Gorge Reservation : The mixed natural reserves Orzea – Zanoaga and Zanoaga
- Lucacila include the karst system Zanoaga: the Gorge of the Great Gorge, the Gorge of the Small Gorge, the Gorge of the Barley (natural monuments), the spruce forests (Pices abies) a thermophilic vegetation composed of rare South European, South Mediterranean or Balkan floristic elements: mountain rye (Secale montanum), iris (Iris dacica), bark (Sorbus cretica), spine (Carduus candicanus), umbelifera (Athamantha hungarica), thymophica (Phleum montanum), honeysuckle (Lonicera caerulea), cossacks (Astragalus depressus).
- Cottages : Omu cabin – 2505m is the cabin located at the highest altitude in the Carpathian Mountains, being also the highest permanent dwelling in Romania.
- Bucegi Gate : Spa and resting resort, is at an altitude of 880 meters, at the foot of Caraiman. The resort is also called the Bucegi Gate, due to its position, from here opening up numerous access routes to the mountain, the most important attractions being the Burning Stone, the Great Jepii, the Little Jepii, the Caraiman Cross and the Co?tila – famous among the climbers. Bu?teni resort connects with the Bucegi plateau through the longest cable car route in the country.
nd has numerous ski slopes with varying degrees of difficulty, both for beginners and the most experienced. Bu?teni resort is guarded by Mount Sorica, Mount Zamora, Mount Cumpatu, which are characterized by a smooth slope, forested up to half and covered with pastures, and the place where the Prahova river meets the streams Valea Cerbului and Valea Alba. Kalinderu Slope – is today one of the most modern in the country. The length of the slope, designed for leisure, competitions and sports competitions, is 1,500 meters, with an average slope of 37% and a width of 40 meters.
- Sinaia : Sinaia, the “pearl of the Carpathians”, as it was often called, is located on the Prahova Valley, at the foot of the Bucegi. Sinaia has the status of tourist and spa-climatic resort. The altitude of the city varies between 767 m and 1,055 m.,The resort is famous for its tourist attractions. among which: Peles Castle, Sinaia Monastery, Casino etc. ,In Sinaia there are numerous facilities for tourists and for winter sports lovers: hotels, boarding houses, cable transport -cable car and equipped ski slopes.
- cable cars : There are cable car services from Bu?teni to Babele, and from Sinaia to Cota 1400 and then from Cota 1400 to Cota 2000. In Bucegi Natural Park there are two car access roads that cover almost the entire surface, facilitating the access of tourists: one from the southern part, which starts from the town of Moroeni and climbs up to the Bolboci dam and further on to the Cave hotel, where it intersects with the road that climbs the Bucegilor Plateau; another from the east, which starts from Sinaia, climbs to the Cuibul Dorului and further on to the Dichiului Tau and from here either in the plateau area or in the Ialomita Valley.
Otherwise, the access is made on paths and forest roads.The cable car operates from the valley station at 8:30, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00 and 15:00. The last departure from the mountain station is at 15:45
- The Sphinx in Bucegi : The mysteries surrounding the strange rocks The Sphinx, the human face, arouses a huge interest for mystery enthusiasts. An anthropomorphic megalith located at over 2,200 meters altitude was named after its resemblance to the Egyptian Sphinx. Geologists place its formation on account of wind erosion, but the internet is also full of fanciful theories, which say that the Dacians had carved the megalith or that it was of extraterrestrial origin. The theories originate in the fact that the Sphinx would be the oldest of our sacred symbols, existing during the Dacian kingdoms that venerated Zalmoxis.
- Cantacuzino Castle – built in 1910 by Gheorghe Cantacuzino , The Royal Church – built in 1889, founded by King Carol I and Queen Elisabeta, is noted for its outstanding architecture, interior fittings (the interior icons are originally painted by Gheorghe Tattarescu) and its age.
- Caraiman Monastery – a monastery of monks bearing the dedication of the “Ascension of the Holy Cross” and located in a wonderful setting right at the foot of Mount Caraiman.,The monument “Ultima Grenada” – was erected in 1928 and is dedicated to the corporal hero Vasile Musat.
- The monument “Ultima Grenada” – was erected in 1928 and is dedicated to the corporal hero Vasile Musat.
- The house of the writer Cezar Petrescu – built in 1918 (traditional architecture) Currently, the Cezar Petrescu Memorial Museum is being set up.
- Babele : Babele and Sfinxul din Bucegi (Bucegi sphinx) are three rock formations in the Bucegi massif of the Southern Carpathians in Romania.The rocks belonging to the Dambovita County are situated at 2216 m in the immediate vicinity of the hut Cabana Babele (2200 m) south of the summit of Baba Mare (2292 m). You can take the cable car from the city of Busteni, walk from the same place through the Jepilor valley or over a ridge from the Piatra Arsa hut. They are also not far from the Cabana Omu and are the destination and starting point for hikes in the Bucegi Mountains.
- Rucar-Bran Corridor : The Rucar-Bran Corridor is a mountain pass that has the Bucegi Mountains on one side and the Piatra Craiului Mountains and Iezer-Papu?a Mountains on the other side
- Ski resorts : Among the most popular ski resorts within the Bucegi Mountains are Sinaia and Bu?teni , the “Pearl of the Carpathians”, Sinaia offers the possibility of performing winter sports. attractions are Pele? Castle, Peli?or, Royal Station, Sinaia Monastery, Casino and George Enescu Memorial House.
- Podu Dambovitei village, in the Dambovicioara commune, in the Rucar-Bran Corridor / Urlătoarea Waterfall, Marked trails in the Bucegi Mountains :
- Blue Cross: Pietroșița – Lespezi Square – Scropoasa Chalet – Zănoaga Chalet – Padina Chalet – Cave Hotel – Babele Chalet.
Red Cross: hotel Cave – Padina hut – Strunga saddle – under Strungile Mari – to Moeciu, through Pravalele Peak and Bingaleasa Peak.
Blue strip: Omu Chalet – Ialomiţa Valley – Cave Hotel – Cocora-Lăptici Saddle – Piatra Arsă Chalet.
Red band: hotel Cave – Lăptici valley – Lăptici saddle – Izvorul Dorului valley – Vărful cu Dor cabin.
Red strip: Omu Chalet – Guțanu Peak – Bătrâna Peak – Strunga saddle under Small Strungs – Bucșa saddle.
Red point: hotel Cave – Padina chalet – Strunga saddle – to Moieciu de Sus through Grohotișu Mountain, Gutanu Poiana, Plesa Mountain.
Red triangle: hotel Cave – Valea Doamnelor – Bătrâna saddle – to Moeciu de Sus, through Poiana Gutanu, Plesa Mountain.
Yellow tape: Babele Chalet – Omu Chalet – 2 hours.
Activities : Scenic Driving- Auto Touring / Nature Viewing / sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking at Marked trails in the Bucegi Mountains / Skiing , winter sports on the Kalinderu ski slope / Rock climbing, Costila, one of the biggest climbing areas in Romania / Mountaineering /
Go next : city of Brasov / Prahova Valley, area with the most ski resorts in Romania / Ialomita Valley / Bran Castle / Sinaia / Predeal / Poiana Brasov /