The Cabo Polonio Lighthouse is located on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, in Cabo Polonio, Rocha, Uruguay.
Cabo Polonio Lighthouse ,a reference for boaters, it was built and illuminated in March 1881, which has a light range of 21.80 miles, and white light flashes every 12 seconds. In 1976 the lighthouse was declared a historical monument.
In 1976, the Cabo Polonio Lighthouse was named a Historical Monument of Uruguay.
The lighthouse can be visited from Tuesday to Sunday, between 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. at sunset (it can be closed due to bad weather or maintenance work). The first lighthouse keeper of Cabo Polonio was Pedro Grupillo. From its heights you can see the town of Cabo Polonio, the dunes and the Torres Islands, a small archipelago made up of Isla Rasa, Isla Encantada and El Islote, a marine reserve.
Access : Coordinates: -34.405278, -53.777778 / To get to Cabo Polonio, from Montevideo, it is necessary to travel to kilometer 264 ½ of route 10, in the department of Rocha.
- The view from the Cabo Polonio Lighthouse is impressive, there are 132 steps that are worth it.
- The legend : Many times it has been established that the name «Polonius» comes from the shipwreck of a ship bearing the same name, on January 31, 1735. Others, on the other hand, affirm that it was due to another sinking, a few years later, on 31 January 1753. The ship was called Nuestra Senora del Rosario, Senor de San Jose y las Animas
- Visiting hours and costs.
The Cabo Polonio Lighthouse can be visited every day from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. The cost to go up is 30 Uruguayan pesos. Access to children under 8 is not allowed.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking , A walk between dunes for about 8 to 10 km, according to whether you follow the straight line or border the sea.
Go next : Cabo Polonio National Park :One of the most attractive landscapes of the region: beaches, islands, dunes, streams, forests and lagoons.