Camogli is a small Italian fishing village and tourist resort located on the west side of the peninsula of Portofino, on the Golfo Paradiso ( Paradise Gulf ) at the Riviera di Levante, in the province of Genoa on the Italian Riviera.
is an Italian community with 5300 inhabitants , in the metropolitan city of Genoa. Camogli is located on the west side of the peninsula of Portofino, on the Golfo Paradiso on the Riviera di Levante. The name means “House of Wives” (casa delle mogli). Camogli includes most of Parco Naturale Regionale di Portofino and part of the Portofino Marine Protected Area.
Camogli was a respectable port city in the late Middle Ages. In the heyday, the fleet of Camoglis consisted of hundreds of tall ships. It was called the “City of the Thousand White Sailboats”. In 1798, the city provided a large contingent of the Napoleonic fleet, which was defeated in Egyptian waters at Abukir by Admiral Nelson. The prestigious Marine College Cristoforo Colombo, founded in 1874, continues the nautical tradition as much as a retirement home for captains. In 1880, the city (with a population of 12,000) had 500 patented ship captains. The former fishing village Camogli, which today lives mainly from tourism, is known for its colorful houses that line up behind the beach. The colors once helped the fishermen of Camogli to find their way back to their harbor easier after catching.
Access : Coordinates: 44.35, 9.15 / By Plane :
Camogli is 18.6 mi from Airport of Genoa and can be easily reached by taxi, bus or train.
Other airports that are relatively close are: Airports of Milan , Airport of Pisa / By Boat
Weather conditions permitting, a ferry service runs to Camogli from: Genoa’s Old Port, Rapallo and Santa Margherita Ligure./
By Train :
Camogli’s train station – San Fruttuoso – is part of the Genoa-La Spezia rail network. / By car : Driving From Genoa on to A12 motorway it is possible to exit in Recco: Camogli is at about 2 km far. along SS1, coming from Rapallo, after the hamlet of Ruta a 3km street on the left leads to Camogli. / Travelling from Rome or Florence take the A11 Firenze motorway, then follow the A12 towards Genova./
Parking : Camogli parking options are limited , The paying parking lots in the centre of town are two : at Piazza Matteotti , close to the train station , at Via Cuneo. /Motorhome parking : Viale Franco Molfino, 16032 Camogli San Rocco, Liguria [GE-IM-SP-SV] / Italy
Get around : large parking lot between Recco and Camogli , free shuttle service that runs to the centre of Camogli.by public transport: Free SP bus to Genova Piazza Principe train station / Free SP bus for the short hop to Genova Sestri Ponente Aeroporto train station / Car rental /
- Abbazia di San Fruttuoso , The Abbey of San Fruttuoso is on the Italian Riviera between Camogli and Portofino. It is the seat of the Catholic parish of the same name of the Vicariate of Recco-Uscio-Camogli , great day trip and swim , you can get off the ferry on the way back at Camogli, at Punta Chiappa, and hike back to the town.
- Castello Della Dragonara , The Dragonara castle or Dragone castle is a defensive building located in Via Isola in Camogli, in the Paradise Gulf.
- Chiesa di San Nicolo di Capodimonte , Via S. Nicolo, 16032, Camogli, church dedicated to the sacred heart of Jesus and built in 1200 in the Romanesque style , The church of San Nicolo di Capodimonte is a Catholic place of worship located in the town of San Nicolo in the municipality of Camogli, in the metropolitan city of Genoa. The building is included in the list of Italian national monuments.The building of the temple dates back to the 12th century by the regular canons of San Rufo, on the site where – according to local tradition – there was already a chapel dedicated to St. Romulus.
- Chiesa Millenaria Sacro Cuore di Gesu , Via XXV Aprile, 16030, Camogli, Italy
- Santuario di N. S. del Boschetto ,Piazza N.S. del Boschetto, Camogli, Church dating back to an apparition of the Madonna to a shepherdess in the sixteenth century , The Madonna del Boschetto is the patron saint of Camogli.
- Museo Marinaro Gio Bono Ferrari : Maritime Museum Gio Bono Ferrari , Via Gio Bono Ferrari, 42, 16032, Camogli, museum full of ship models, paintings and artifacts , open : Tuesday 9-12 ,Wednesday 9-12 , Thursday 9-12 , Friday 9-12 , Saturday 9-12 and 15-18 ,Sunday 9-12 and 15-18 , Monday closed , Free entry
- Oratorio di San Prospero e Santa Caterina , Via della Repubblica, 16032, Camogli, Open : 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM , Small church located along the street parallel to the main one of Camogli.
- Teatro Sociale di Camogli , Piazza Matteotti, 16032, Camogli, The Camogli Social Theater offers a program of performances – even musical – as varied as it is interesting and is also a true architectural gem.
- Basilica DI Santa Maria Assunta , Via Dell’Isola 19, 16032, Camogli, The Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta is a Catholic place of worship located in the municipality of Camogli, in via dell’Isola,
Activities : Hiking trails. (Camogli – San Rocco – Batterie – San Fruttuoso Trail , Via del Boschetto, Camogli, Italy , fabulous walk that leads to San Fruttuoso from Camogli – it takes around 2.5 – 3 hours ) There are numerous, memorable trails affording spectacular views, for example, from Camogli to San Fruttuoso (a little over four miles), or Camogli to Portofino (7 miles) / boating excursions : Portofino private boat tours /
Castel Dragone Fishing Tours / Luxury Charters / Diving / Sea Kayak / Sea Kayak Tours / Hiking , Camogli – San Rocco – Batterie – San Fruttuoso Trail /
/ Camogli Food experience , cooking class / Vacation Photography in Camogli
Events : Camogli Green Cross Festival , In Camogli, from Friday 28 to Sunday 30 July, the Social Festival of the Green Cross on Rivo Giorgio (beach). // Sagra del pesce , Piazza Colombo, Camogli, The Camogli Fish Festival , fish festival with fish cooked in a huge frying pan, 68th Edition of the Feast of San Fortunato , Sunday 12 May 2019 – from 10:00 ,
Camogli (GE) dont miss the fireworks.
Go next : Portofino / Rapallo / Santa Margherita Ligure Varazze and Spotorno / Island of Gallinara / Albenga / Alassio / San Remo / Arma di Taggia / Monte Carlo