Costa Maya is a small tourist coastal region in the municipality of Othón P. Blanco in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico. The name of the coast comes from the name of an ancient civilization that flourished here in 250-900 AD. The people of the Mayan civilization were educated, made many discoveries in the field of astronomy and mathematics, invented a very accurate calendar, but suddenly they suddenly disappeared.
Costa Maya, once the main trading port of the Mayan empire, has now become one of the main tourist ports in Mexico thanks to the construction of a new modern cruise port
The port of the Costa Maya was built specifically to receive cruise ships on the deserted coast of the Yucatan Peninsula.
In 2017. Costa Maya has been visited by 1 million cruise passengers.Within walking distance of the Costa Maya there are free pools, several restaurants, bars and shops, and the beach. Passengers can use free Wi-Fi both in the port area and in nearby establishments.
The indescribable beauty of the beaches of the Costa Maya attracts not only tourists, but also people in search of privacy on their own beach. The Costa Maya is protected by a large living coral reef that protects against erosion and is highly prized by divers.
Access : Coordinates:18.714, -87.709 / by Public Bus, line A.D.O (almost 5 hours
from Playa del Carmen) from the terminals of Playa del Carmen and
Cancun./ The Costa Maya, is located 1 hour and 45 minutes from the state capital.
If you are in Chetumal, take federal highway 186 towards Escárcega, to later take federal highway 307 towards Felipe Carrillo Puerto-Tulum (72 km. Approx.) Until the junction of Mahahual-Cafetal. To finish, you must travel 50 kilometers towards the Mahahual-Cafetal highway.
/ the modern cruise ship dock that exists in the community of Majahual can be used as an arrival point- The port of Costa Maya is located 350 km from Cancun, on the Yucatan Peninsula. The liners stop right at the pier. The port is constantly expanding and a new pier was built here in 2018.
- Costa Maya port : Costa Maya is a small tourist port, . The exit to the city is designed as some kind of Mexican village, with many shops, bars and even its own small beach and pool.
- Ruins of the ancient Mayan cities Dzibanche and Kinichna. 180 km, on the way 2-2.5 hours.
- Ruins of the ancient Mayan city of Kohunlich. Ruins of the city of Kohunlich 170 km from the port. It is famous for its majestic pyramids, the most famous of which is the Pyramid of Masks, which has preserved six giant masks.
- Ruins of the ancient Mayan city of Chacchoben. The ruins of the ancient city of Chakchoben, 70 km from the Costa Maya. On its territory you can see the temples-pyramids, stele with inscriptions, walls and many buildings. In Chakchoben, a special tourist route has been laid, along which you can go without turning anywhere.
- The Lost Kingdom of the Maya theme park with exciting rides, slides and fun for the whole family.
- Chinchorro Reef is about an hour’s drive from the port and is well worth a visit for diving enthusiasts. Its length exceeds 14 km. The Chinchorro Reef is home to about 200 species of exotic fish and more than 100 species of coral.
- Bacalar lagoon : Bacalar Also known as the lagoon of the seven colors is located in the Yucatan Peninsula in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico. Its name translates as “surrounded by reeds”, because a large amount of reeds grows around the city.Its main attractions are fortifications built to protect the raids of the Indians of hostile tribes and pirates, and the famous Lagoon of seven colors.
- beaches : The nearest beach is located 3 kilometers from the port, where you can walk along the promenade path, sit in various cafes, go to souvenir shops and just lie on the snow-white beach, Maya Chan Beach , Mahahual Beach , Yaya Beach.
- Mahahual lighthouse : The Mahahual lighthouse is a viewpoint that allows us to appreciate the sea for its imposing silhouette, From the lighthouse you can take very beautiful photos.
- Banco Chinchorro : One of the paradises for diving enthusiasts is the Banco Chinchorro Biosphere Reserve protected natural area, 30 kilometers off the coast of Majahual, forming part of the Great Mayan Reef.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / Snorkeling tours or a tour of the ancient Mayan cities / take a jeep tour of the unspoiled savannahs of the Yucatan Peninsula / Cruise Excursions.
Go next :The small village of Mahahual, located next to the port. / The Xcalak fishing village / Sian Ka’an / Banco Chinchorro / The Riviera Maya , a tourist area of Mexico