The ski resort Damüls Mellau is located in Austria , in the district of Bregenz in the federal state of Vorarlberg, in the western part of the country, 500 km west of the capital Vienna.The winter sports area is located between 714 and 2050 m above sea level.
The terrain around Damüls is mountainous to the east, but to the west it is hilly. The highest point nearby is Glatthorn, 2,134 meters above sea level, 1.9 km southwest of Damüls.
At the end of the Middle Ages ,around 1300, many people left the Swiss canton of Wallis because of poverty and looked for a new place to settle. In the Vorarlberg region, west of Tirol and in the Grisons, isolated valleys were made available to these emigrants, who were later called the Walser, to clear and colonize them.
The first written mention of Damüls comes from an act of fief of May 29, 1313 by the Counts of Montfort. The owners were free peasants on free land, but who had to take up arms for the counts in case of need. Until 1860, Damüls had a court in common with Fontanella. In 1390 Damüls returned to Austria with the Lordship of Feldkich.
The resort presents itself as the snowiest village in the world. Usually in this region, tourists settle in mountain lodges, huts and hospitable inns , In addition to their color and charm, they guarantee the presence of snow throughout the ski season, usually until mid-April.
Damüls and Faschina in Vorarlberg are considered the most beautiful and snowy holiday destinations in the eastern Alps,Trails suitable for all levels of skiers make Damuls a particularly popular family ski resort.
Access : Coordinates: 47.283333, 9.883333 / The closest airport to Damuls is Altenrhein (ACH). Located only 45.99 km from the center of Damüls. / The distance from Salzburg Airport to Damüls-Mellau is 301 km.Distance from Munich airport to Damüls-Mellau 273 km.Distance from Vienna airport to Damüls-Mellau is 670 km. Distance from Innsbruck Airport to Damüls-Mellau 166 km / Ski Taxi Transfer from Salzburg Airport to Damüls-Mellau 4h. 20 minutes./ Connections: Damüls and Mellau are connected by a system of lifts and ski runs. Many ski resorts in Voralberg can be reached by ski bus.
/ Comfortable transfers with Salzburg Limousine Service from Salzburg Airport to Damüls-Mellau.
- Damüls village has been awarded the title of “The Snowiest Village in the World”. According to the data of recognized weather stations, which are confirmed by at least 5 years of research.
- Ski areas and lifts in Damüls: 109 km of marked trails for skiers,30 ski lifts,120-meter ski tunnel,40 kilometers of long-distance running tracks,
slopes for off-piste skiing,a park for snowboarders,more than 30 km of winter hiking trails,2.5 km of natural toboggan runs for the whole family,evening skiing ,special bus service inside the ski resort – free with a lift ticket.
General season: early December – mid April Opening time: 08:30 – 16:30 Note: opening times are provided by Damüls Mellau and may vary depending on external conditions day of the week, school and public holidays- Damüls is one of the most beautiful winter resorts in the Alps. The resort in 2006 was awarded the title of “snowiest resort”.
- ski museum : In Damüls, the ski museum is open all year round on Tuesdays and Fridays from 15.00 to 18.00. Free admission./Natural monument road near Alpe Brand at around 1650 m above sea level.
- The Church of St. Nicholas : The Church of St. Nicholas in Damuls invites you to admire the medieval frescoes./ Stofel Chapel on the Oberdamüls Alpe.
- Damüls circuit : The Damüls circuit runs above the tree line and can be reached with the UGA-Express. The UGA-Express is a chair lift that seats up to four people next to each other and can be used free of charge with the Bregenzerwaldcard.
- Damüls is an Ski resort specialized in alpine skiing, it has hosted, among other things, various stages of the European Cup and the Austrian Championships in 1998 and 2001.Austrian ski resorts boast the most varied terrain, suitable for classic mountain activities as well as snowboarding, mountaineering and trekking.
Activities : Winter sports in the snow-sure ski area, The ski area offers several ski schools and supervised kindergartens for children. In addition to extensive winter hiking trails and cross-country skiing trails, you can also go skiing at night, / trekking,A more than 6,000 km long network of uniformly marked and signposted walking and hiking trails invites you to explore the Vorarlberg landscapes in the great outdoors.
Go next : The communities of Mellau and Au / Faschina / The nearest town is Feldkirch 40 minutes away, where you can: Visit Schattenburg Castle.