Drummond Castle is located in Perthshire, Scotland – United Kingdom.
The castle is known for its gardens, described by Historic Scotland as “the best example of formal terraced gardens in Scotland.” It is situated in Muthill parish, 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) south of Crieff. The castle comprises a tower house built in the late 15th century, and a 17th-century mansion, both of which were rebuilt in Victorian times. The gardens date to the 1630s, although they too were restructured in the 19th century. The formal gardens are protected as a category A listed building, and are included on the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland. The tower house and mansion are both category B listed.
History : The lands of Drummond were the property of the Drummond family from the 14th century, and the original tower house was built over several years by John Drummond, 1st Lord Drummond of Cargill, from about 1490. In 1605 the 4th Lord Drummond was created Earl of Perth, and added to the castle. The 2nd Earl of Perth laid out the first terraced garden around the castle in the 1630s. The castle was sacked by the army of Oliver Cromwell in 1653, during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. The 4th Earl of Perth was Lord Chancellor of Scotland under King James VII. He began the mansion house in 1689, before being imprisoned following the deposition of King James by William of Orange. He later fled to the exiled Jacobite court in France. The Drummonds continued to support the Jacobite cause in the Jacobite uprisings of 1715 and 1745. The family retained control of the estate until 1750 when the Drummond properties were declared forfeit and seized by the state. The estate was managed by the Commissioners for Forfeited Estates until 1784, when it was sold to Captain James Drummond (later created 1st Baron Perth). He began a number of improvements that were continued by his daughter Sarah and her husband, The 22nd Baron Willoughby de Eresby (1782–1865). These included the formal gardens and terraces in the 1830s. Queen Victoria visited the gardens in 1842.
Description : The castle is set on part of a prominent spine of rock known as the Gask Ridge, a geographical feature that stretches several kilometres across Perthshire, but is particularly prominent and steep-sided at the site of the castle. The tower house, or keep, is no longer used as a dwelling. It is adjoined by a later, but better preserved, gatehouse (built 1629–30). Stretching between the tower house and the edge of the ridge, it was originally intended to control access to the courtyard behind, which has a fine view over the formal gardens. To the south of the castle on its rocky outcrop are the formal gardens.
Access : Coordinates : 56.340772, -3.869508 : By Bus : 3 h 54 min includes 38 min transfer 18€ – 24€ Edinburgh, Princes Street (Castle Street) 2 h 16 min by Bus, every 20 minutes / By train : Edinburgh 46 min by Train, hourly 10€ – 18€ Stirling 19 min by Train, hourly 2€ – 6€ Gleneagles 20 min by Taxi (16,8 km) 30€ – 40€ / By car : From Edinburgh 1 h 12 min 81,5 km. Address : Drummond Gardens Muthill, Crieff, PH7 4HN
Phone:+44 (0)1764 681433 Fax: +44 (0)1764 681642 / drummond castleg ardens : Opening Times : Easter Weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday) 1-6pm then 1st May to 31st October – daily 1pm – 6pm . June, July & August 11am – 6pm. September & October 1pm – 6pm Last admission 5pm. Exit gates close at 6pm. Admission : Adult £6.00 Superadult £5.50 Child £2.00 Family (2+3) £14.00.
THE CASTLE IS NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. However the Gardens afford marvellous views of the buildings and surrounding countryside.