The Đurđevića Tara Bridge is a reinforced concrete arched bridge across the Tara River in northern Montenegro.
The bridge was built in 1938-1940, when Montenegro was still part of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. The architect was Professor Miyat Troyanovich, the general management of the construction was carried out by the chief engineer Isaac Russo. At the time of its construction, the bridge was the largest concrete arched bridge in Europe designed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic. The modern name “Đurđevića Tara Bridge” originated from the name of the owner of the farm located right next to the bridge.
The Đurđevića Tara Bridge It is one of the most visited places in the north of the country and a popular attraction. Group excursions are carried here on huge tourist buses, individual walks on minivans are arranged here.
Access : Coordinates:43.150419, 19.295239 / Location: Zabljak municipality, a crossroads between the villages of Budechevitsa and Treshnitsa, located on different banks of the Tara River.
- Characteristics of the bridge: Height – 172 meters.Length – 365 meters.The number of arches is 5.The length of the spans is different, the largest is 116 meters.
- The bridge has taken part in filming more than once. In 1969, the Yugoslav film “The Bridge” was filmed here, dedicated to the events of the Second World War. And in 1978, the Hollywood film Hurricane of Navarone, based on the novel by Alistair McLean, was filmed here, where Harrison Ford was filmed.
- The Second World War : Much of Montenegro, including the Tara River Canyon, came under Italian occupation following the German invasion of Yugoslavia in April 1941. The mountainous terrain of this area contributed to the conduct of partisan warfare. Italian troops used the Chetniks to gain control of the bridge during a joint offensive in 1942.The monument to Lazar Yaukovich reminds of the events of the Second World War.
- Hiking trails : There are many hiking trails in the vicinity. The best way to watch them is through the Maps.me app.
- Facilities and services : Đurđevića Tara Bridge there is a camping with a parking lot, a shop, a hostel and a gas station. From the Djurdjevic Bridge you can go rafting. There are 3 zip lines on the bridge.
Go next : the village of Đurđevića Tara. / the towns of Mojkovac, Žabljak and Pljevlja / Orthodox monasteries : Dobrilovin.Satisfaction.St. Archangel Michael.