The Golden Gate Bridge is one of the most amazing engineering structures located in the city of San Francisco, California, USA.
The Golden Gate Bridge connects the city of San Francisco in the north of the San Francisco Peninsula and southern Marin County, near the suburb of Sausalito.
The total length of the bridge is 2,737 m, the length of the main span is 1,280 m, the height of the supports is 227 m above the water, the weight is 894,500 tons. The height of the carriageway above the water surface at high tide is 67 m.
The idea of building a bridge at the bay dates back to 1872. However, the drafts made in those years were not touched until the 1920s, when the ferry capacity reached the limit. The construction of the bridge was carried out between 5 January 1933 and 27 May 1937 under the direction of controversial chief engineer Josef B. Strauss. 11 workers died during construction.
In the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge, the technical difficulties of the time have been overcome and numerous records for bridge construction have been broken. These : The highest foot (227 m), the longest (2.332 m), the thickest rope (92 cm) and the largest underwater foundations. These foundations had to be made in very strong currents of the strait. Another surprising thing is that it was done at a time of widespread unemployment and hunger, and as much as $ 35,000,000 was spent. The bridge has a total weight of 887,000 tons. 600,000 rivets hold together the beams of towers and beams, the last of which is solid gold. The bridge remained the longest suspension bridge in the world until the construction of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in New York in 1964.
The color of the bridge “international orange” was chosen to be in harmony with the surrounding landscapes. The bridge can swing more than two meters to withstand winds of 160 km / h, it has six traffic lanes open to motor traffic and two pedestrian lanes on either side of the bridge. Today, the Golden Gate Bridge is considered one of the most beautiful in the world and is one of the most famous landmarks in the United States.
Access : Coordinates: 37.819722, -122.478611 / The Golden Gate Bridge is part of Federal Highway 101 / Bus service across the bridge is provided by two public transportation agencies.
- The bridge got its name from the 1.6 km wide strait that opens into San Francisco Bay ( Golden Gate ). It is said that it was named so because it reminded the Golden Horn, which was named by the captain Chrysoceras in Istanbul, or the Golden Horn, given by Captain John C. Fremont during the attack on gold in California in 1846.
- The Golden Gate Bridge is suspended in design and was the longest suspension bridge in the world from its opening until 1964, when Verrazano Narrows in New York was commissioned.
- The Golden Gate Bridge is paid, crossing it in the south direction (when entering the city of San Francisco) costs $ 6, while leaving the city is free. Payment is collected only from vehicle owners, and pedestrians and cyclists cross the bridge freely in both directions.
- Today, the Golden Gate Bridge is part of Federal Highway 101. It is one of the busiest bridges in the United States, with more than 100,000 vehicles crossing it every day. In addition to car lanes, the bridge also has bicycle and pedestrian paths.
- It has been described as one of the modern wonders of the world by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- The Golden Gate… one of the most recognizable bridges in the world – began to emit sounds similar to experimental music. Reported by CNN.The explanation for why the 83-year-old bridge suddenly began emitting alien sounds is pretty commonplace .the bridge has become “musical” due to the fact that the old handrails were replaced on it with those through which the air flows better.
- Suicides : the Golden Gate Bridge is also notorious as the Suicide Bridge. According to statistics, every 2 weeks one person chooses him to commit suicid. Since the bridge was opened in 1937, it is estimated that up to 2013 more than 1,600 people have died by jumping over the railing, which is only 1.20 meters high. In 2018, the construction of protective nets began, which should protrude six meters on both sides. Several telephones are attached to enable a suicidal person to contact professional help. Telephone calls are difficult or impossible in practice due to the noise from traffic and the often violent wind noise.
- In the middle of the bridge there are special viewing platforms for tourists, where you can take an excellent selfie or some photos for memory.
- A visitor center and gift shop, originally called the “Bridge Pavilion” , is located on the San Francisco side of the bridge.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities at the most famous and photographed bridge in the world , The bridge offers beautiful views of the bay and the city itself, / walking tour, at a leisurely, walking pace, you will need 45-50 minutes.
Go next : Alcatraz Island , The island is now used as a museum tourist attraction. As part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.