Hikkaduwa is a small town and popular resort, located 120 km south of the capital of Sri Lanka, Colombo.
Until the 1970s, Hikkaduwa was a calm fishing village. It was then discovered by young Travelers who enjoyed the beauty of beach life there as hippies or surfers.
Hikkaduwa is town with developed infrastructure ,There is a chain of hotels, cafes, travel agencies, etc. across the street. There are sidewalks along the road,There are a lot of accommodation options in Hikkaduwa, prices are low compared to other resorts.
Hikkaduwa is one of the most popular and developing resorts in Sri Lanka. In the 70s, it was the favorite hippie beach, today it is a more democratic alternative to the popular and stylish Bentota first of all, among fans of active recreation. Along all three beaches of Hikkaduwa, the main tourist infrastructure is concentrated. This resort, friendly and calm, is considered the center of tourism in Sri Lanka.
Access : Coordinates: 6.147222, 80.110278 / Hikkaduwa is located on the west coast, 100 kilometers south of Colombo. There is no airport near the city, and therefore people get here through Colombo airport, from where they get to Hikkaduwa by taxi, bus or train.
/ From Colombo, Galle and the cities of the West Coast, to Hikkaduwa, the most convenient and spectacular way to get there is by train that goes along the coast.
/ Transport in Hikkaduwa : The city is small, it is convenient to walk around it. The neighboring towns can be reached by bus, train, taxi or tuk-tuk.
- The fish market : Fish market, located on the banks of the artificial harbor. Usually trading starts at 5:00, and by 9:00.
- diving : Hikkaduwa is an ideal destination for beginners and experienced divers. the water hides the remains of several sunken ships.The best time for water sports in Hikkaduwa is from December to March, the rest of the year there are very large waves and strong currents. Not far from the beach lie the remains of several wrecks, including the British sunken “Earl of Shaftsbury” and the SS Conch tanker.
- The beaches in Hikkaduwa : One of the main attraction of Hikkaduwa is its beaches , Hikkaduwa has a gorgeous 5 km beach and a large coral reef, the beauty of which can be observed while snorkeling. The central hangout area is located between two large beaches. The southern part is Narigama Beach, about twice the size of the northern beach. The southernmost part of Narigama is absolutely idyllic and almost always deserted.
- Turtles in Hikkaduwa – Turtle Rehabilitation Center : Hikkaduwa Beach is a place where you can see huge turtles in the water near the beach itself. There are turtle breeding farms in the vicinity of the resort.
- Hikkaduwa Coral Reef National Park : Here is the Hikkaduwa Coral Reef National Park, on the territory of which there are about 70 species of coral .The main attraction of Hikkaduwa is the luxurious coral reserve. The word “coral” is the hallmark of this city.The reef stretches along the coast and is a spectacular sight, rich in corals of the most unimaginable shapes and colors.
- The city was featured in an episode of Anthony Bourdin’s No reservations show as a popular surfing spot.
- Hikkaduwa was hit by a tsunami caused by the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake. At the entrance to the city, there is a monument to the memory of those days.
Activities : Diving / boat trip on a glass bottom boat. / Surfing. / Snorkeling.
Go next : Tangalle, which is famous for its amazing sandy beach. / Unawatuna, which, according to the Discovery Channel, is one of the “ten” best beaches in the world.