Huahine Also known as the “secret island”, the “authentic island” or “Island of Women” and the “remote island” is an atoll in the Pacific Ocean and is one of the Society Islands, one of the five archipelagos of French Polynesia .
In fact, Hua Hin consists of two isolated islands – Hua Hin Nui (Big Hua Hin) in the north and Hua Hin Iti (Small Hua Hin) in the south – separated by only a few hundred meters of water and connected by a sandbank, exposed at low tide .
Huahine is located about 175 kilometers northwest of Tahiti, the largest island of French Polynesia, and about 50 km east of Raiatea. In addition to some motus on the fringing reef, the atoll consists of two central volcanic islands separated only by a very narrow and shallow channel: the larger Huahine Nui and the smaller Huahine Iti. The total land area of the islands is about 74 km². Huahine Iti reaches an altitude of 460 m above sea level, Huhine Nui at Mont Turi a height of 669 meters.
It has 8 small “villages” being Fare the capital (this is where most of the businesses are located) Maeva known for the ruins and Faie for the blue-eyed eel. Huahine translates as “pregnant woman” since the profile of Mount Tavaiura, looks like a pregnant woman lying down. It has banana, melon production and has only 6500 inhabitants.
On April 20, 1879 signed the commander of SMS Bismarck, Karl Deinhard and the Imperial German Consul for the South Sea Islands, Gustav Godeffroy Junior, for the German Empire with the “government” of the island a friendship and trade agreement. The French colonial power subjugated the islands over the wind including Tahiti during the 1880s, the islands under the wind only in the 1890s. The hitherto independent kingdom of Huahine and Maia’o was annexed in 1895 and incorporated into the since 1898 existing etablissements francais de l’Oceanie, today’s French Polynesia.
Tourism by the passengers of the atoll-docking cruise ships and the airport is an significant industry.On the island in 2000, the French film “Prince of the Pearl Island” was shot with Thierry Lermitt and Marie Trentignan in the lead roles.
Huahine is one of the main places in Derek Selby’s novel, Cold War.Hawaiki Nui Va’a: At the end of October – beginning of November, the largest canoe race in Polynesia starts from Huahine.
Access : Coordinates: -16.73, -151 / Huahine can be reached by boat or plane. The island is only 50 kilometers from Bora Bora and 175 from Tahiti. / Air Tahiti operates flights to Huahine from : Papeete , Bora Bora , Moorea and Raiatea / It is also possible to arrive by boat from the nearby islands and with short distances, more or less with good prices. The journeys are very variable, so it is convenient to be informed in situ of the days and times of departure.
Getting around : By Fare and its surroundings you can move by bicycle. You can rent a car or scooter (US55 approx) to tour Huahine Iti and Huahine Nui.
- One of the attractions of Hua Hin is a bridge crossing a stream with eels 1-2 meters long (they are on a river, they have blue eyes). These eels, according to local mythology, are considered sacred inhabitants.
- A deep lagoon of crystalline waters surrounds the two islands that form Huahine, while magnificent white-sand beaches add a special touch.
- Maeva, northeast of Fare, is located on the banks of the largest of the two lagoons, called Fa’una Nui. It is known for its agricultural activity.
- museum in a fare pote’e / Motu Tresor : Pearl factory , you can see how they make the famous black pearls, With free admission, it is a unique collection open to the public, to see more than 500 varieties from all over French Polynesia.
- magnificent white-sand beaches in ( Avea Bay, with possibly the best beaches on the whole island ) , Great lakes, huge bays, steep peaks and fabulous beaches alternate in this tropical paradise rich in tranquility and nature /
- Archaeological complex : The road then borders the shore of Lake Fauna Nui to Maeva, an important cultural and religious center before the arrival of Europeans. Between the lake and the Matairea hill, near the town, hundreds of stone buildings (houses, stables, fields of cultivation …) and a quarantine of maraes (Polynesian temples) have been discovered.
- Outdoor life : diving and snorkeling, surfing and deep sea fishing… The island can be traveled in 3 or four hours. But it offers a wide range of active tourism in a perfectly preserved natural setting. It is one of the most coveted surf spots in Polynesia, the best known is the «Fare Left». / Views from the temples of Maeva / The picturesque port of Fare offers a real show on market days.
- Fare : It is a small town and port, capital of the Island, located at the foot of Mount Turi of 669m / Mont Taitaa : It can be climbed on foot to marvel at the spectacular views.
- Belvedere Viewpoints : Along the island it has four viewpoints with panoramic views: Tefarerii, Fitii-Maroe, Haapu, Faie-Maroe
Activities : 4×4 safaris / ecological tours / boat trips / visit to the “Park of Eden” / Huahine Honeymoon Hideaway / Huahine Natural Aquarium Excursion / Diving / enjoy a sunset cruise / sightseeing / photo opportunities / surfing, hiking, horseback riding and kite surfing / Poe Island Tour / off-road tour /
Go next : Explore Society Islands : Bora Bora , Maupiti , Raiatea , Moorea and Tahiti / Tuamotu Islands / Marquesas Islands / Gambier Islands / Austral Islands / Rapa -a remote atoll / Clipperton Island