The Isle of Tiree is an island in the Inner Hebrides in Scotland. ( United Kingdom ) .
The Isle of Tiree is the westernmost largest island in the Inner Hebrides archipelago, in western Scotland. Administratively refers to Argyll & Butte County.
The main town on the island is Scarinish, near which the ferry port is located. Ferry connections exist to Coll and Oban as well as to the island of Barra. Major industries are agriculture, fishing and tourism.
Access : Coordinates: 56.516667, -6.816667 / The island has a small airport of the same name with daily flights to Glasgow, Oban and the neighboring island of Call. It is also connected by ferry to Oban, Call and Barra Island in the south of the Outer Hebrides.
- The “ringing stone” or Clach a ’Choire is a huge boulder that came here from the island of Rum during the ice age. If it is struck with a stone, it creates metallic tones from where the stone gets its name.
- Dun Mor Bhalla : On the island of Tiree the Dun Mor Bhalla was found, a fort dating back to about 800 years before Christ.
- Skerryvore Lighthouse, 12 miles (19 km) southwest of Tyri, was built with difficulty between 1838 and 1844 by Alan Stevenson.
- Tiree has the highest number of corncrakes in Scotland – 346 out of 1059 counted in Scotland in 2016.
- Scarinish is the capital of Tiree. Ferries sail from Scarinish to Arinagour on Coll and Oban on the Scottish mainland.
- An Turas : Modern art installation , The building won the prestigious “Scottish Building of the Year” award in 2003. No admission charge and well worth a visit.
- An Iodhlann : fascinating small museum, with archives for family research ( An Iodhlann is currently closed to the public ) .
- Balephuil Bay : Located on the south west coast of Tiree, Balephuil Bay stretches for approximately a mile in length and is one of the island’s most beautiful beaches.
- Traigh Chrionaig bay : / Balinoe Beach and Rocks / balevullin rocks / The Hynish Heritage Trail / Dun Mor Broch / the stunning beach at Vaul Bay. /
- Ben Hynish : The highest point on the island. with Lovely views / the beach at balevullin
Events : Tiree Music Festival is held in mid July on An Talla beach
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / water sports: surfing, windsurfing, kiting, kayaking and sand yachting / Croft Camping
Go next : Coll : an island in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland. / Oban : a town in Argyll and Bute on the northwest coast of Scotland.