Fortress of Bovec Kluze (originally German Fort Flitscher Klause) was built in 1472 near Bovec, on the road between Cave del Predil and Carinthia, North West Slovenia, had a role of protecting an important road between Cividale del Friuli in Italy and Austria. Its likely original purpose was defence of Friuli against the Turks. In the course of the 16th century Bovec came under Austrian authority as a result of the wars between Venice and the Habsburgs. However, for the time being it remained as an ecclesiastical dependence of Ciudad and Aquileia. At the end of the 18th century it was entirely under Austria’s administration, and remained so until 1918. In 1796 and 1797 fighting took place around the fort, as Napoleon’s army pushed through the Koritnica gorge.
In 1903 part of Bovec was destroyed by a fire. What remained standing was ravaged in World War I, when the Italian-Austrian front (Battles of the Isonzo) crossed through the valley as the battle cut from north to south.
Arsenal : In addition to infantry weapons and machine guns, M. 4 were another four 120 mm cannons M 61 and two 90 mm cannons M 61. After the construction, 120 mm cannons were replaced by more modern 120 mm cannons M. 80. The reason for the replacement was was an error in planning the fort. After the construction, they found that the ridge of Slemena did not protect them from firing, so the fort was armed with stronger cannons. For each cannon, 200 explosive and 200 shrapnel grenades and 10 ticks were envisaged.
For 90 mm cannons, 70 explosive and 120 shrapnel grenades were available and 10 cards. There were 25 tapes with 200 cartridges for each machine. An additional 49,950 shells of M. 93 caliber were stored.
Attractions : Kluze Fortress museum / Events : Regularly perform the games of soldiers, which are dressed in uniforms and with the equipment from the period of the First World War.
Access : Coordinates: 46.361249, 13.589541 / By car : from Bovec take regional road Bovec – Predel (R1 – 203) after 4,5km you will see a fortress on the right side of the road
Opening hours : May, October – Saturdays and Sundays 10:00 – 17:00 , June, September – Sunday to Friday 10:00 – 17:00; Saturday 10:00 – 18:00 , July, August – every day, 9:00 – 20:00 , Enytance fees : adults: 3 € . students, seniors: 2 €
Go next : fort Hermann /