Kudahuvadhoo Island, is one of the inhabited islands of Dhaalu or South Nilande Atoll ,located in the southern Nilandhoo Atoll ,in the Maldives a small archipelagic state in South Asia, situated in the Arabian Sea of the Indian Ocean.
In the early 1980s, the Norwegian adventurer Thor Heyerdahl visited the island. Above all, he admired the island’s old mosque, the stonework of which he described as one of the most beautiful he had ever seen.
It is a rather large island, 1040 meters long and 880 meters wide at its widest point. The total area of the island is 69.7 hectares.The land around Kudahuvadhoo is for the most part flat , There is a large number of leisure options here, which will delight experienced vacationers and those who find the Maldives a very boring place.
Relatively undeveloped in terms of tourism, but it can be a destination for an interesting excursion. Kudahavadhoo Island is blessed with gorgeous clear waters that are suitable for diving and water sports activities.
Access : Coordinates: 2.6711, 72.89345 / Kudahuvadhoo Island, located in the southern Nilandhoo Atoll / Kudahuvadhoo is 181 km from the Maldivian capital Malé and 113 km from the nearest airport, Kadhdhoo Airport on the Laamu Atoll.
- Among the reef of Kudahuvadhoo, one of the largest in the Maldives (5601 hectares), there are three more uninhabited islands.
- In addition to the old coral-stone mosque, whose masonry Thor Heyerdahl called the finest in the world, Kudahuvadhoo is home to some notable archaeological sites dating back to ancient times.
- The burial mounds-ruins known as Hawittas , these mounds are believed to pre-date the Islamic period and are actually ruins of unexcavated Buddhist temples, Havittas on the island of Kudahuvadhoo is considered one of the most mysterious.
- The beaches : Clear blue waters , white sand beach and lovely climate , The best time to travel to the beaches of Kudahuwadu Island is a dry season in the winter half of the year.
- The old mosque : The old mosque of Kudahuvadhoo famous for its fine masonry and dates back to the 10th century.
- Scuba diving experience : Kudahuvadhoo is a location quite well-known among the diving community.The famous diving spot near the island is Utheemu, a shipwreck dating back to 1960.
- water sports activities : Snorkelling in the uncrowded Hadigilla Reef , or adventurous experiences in the lush blue waters of the island.
Go next : FoaMulaku Havitta is another Chaitya ruin – the main attraction is a ruined stupa- on the secluded island / atoll of Fuamulaku / Dhaalu Atoll was recently opened for tourism.