Les Gets is a ski resort in south-eastern France, in the Rhône-Alpes region and in the Haute-Savoie department, north of the French Alps. It is part of the Portes du Soleil ski area.
Les Gets is a mid-range and family ski resort, part of the famous Porte du Soleil ski area. its history dates from the 11th century and carefully preserves ancient traditions and historical appearance.
Located between Lake Geneva and Mont-Blanc, Les Gets has managed to preserve its soul of a typically Savoyard mountain village and its heritage filled with historical and cultural treasures. The diversity of its ski area is a delight for the whole family. Here we leave the village on skis to escape between fir trees and mountain pastures, to discover the 650 km of pistes of the Portes du Soleil.
Les Gets is located at 1163 m, near the tourist resort of Morzine, 28 kilometers south-southeast of the town of Thonon-les-Bains . The summer and winter sports resort extends to the top of the Col des Gets pass at the transition from Chablais to Faucigny, in the Savoy Alps at the eastern foot of Mont Chéry.
Together with the surrounding resorts (Morzine and Avoriaz) make up the largest ski area in Europe. Les Gets has hosted several Alpine Ski World Cup races. It has also hosted stages of the Mountain Bike World Cup.
Les Gets is one of the 48 towns classified as a “tourist town” in the department. The resort has obtained several labels: “Famille Plus Montagne” , “Charming village resorts”, “Large area resorts”, “Charming village” and “Soft mountain” , as well. It is also one of the French resorts with the Top of the French Alps (TOTFA) label.
Access : Coordinates:46.1606, 6.6708 / The village is on the main road from Thonon-les-Bains through the Vallée d’Aulps to Cluses in the Arve Valley. / By car :
Access by car is simple, given that the station is located 20 km from the A40 motorway (Cluses). We will then take the D902 to reach Les Gets.
/ Distances to airports: Geneva – 83 km, Annecy – 82 km, Lyon – 197 km.
Nearest train station: Thonon Les Bains (31 km).
- The Church of the Nativity of Marie in Les Gets.: The Church of the Nativity of Marie des Gets is a Catholic place of worship located , in the town of Les Gets.
The church organ. Installed since its restoration in 1994, this mechanical musical instrument, classified as a historical monument, is an automatic philharmonic organ, unique in Europe, with 1,000 pipes (violins, flutes, human voices, clarinets, trumpets, etc.) with a carillon and a metallophone.
- Museum of Mechanical Music : The Musée de la Musique mécanique in a building from the 16th century, in which barrel organs, mechanical pianos and jukeboxes are exhibited.
- The village’s first single-person chair lift was opened in 1938 with the first chair lift on Mont Chéry in 1954.
- Alpine skiing: 120 km of slopes – Top of the slopes: 2,002 m Bottom of the slopes: 1,172 m , 3 green runs , 28 blue runs , 28 red slopes , 9 black runs.
- 50 ski lifts , Cross-country skiing: 12 km of slopes, 12 km of skating trails. Other snow activities: Snowshoe trails: 35 km Footpaths (dammé): 35 km Sled routes: 8 km Number of snowparks: 1.
- The heights here range from 1172 to 2002 meters, so the slope of the 50 local tracks is not great. The longest “blue” trail from the summit Le Ranfolly is 6 km long.
There are several ski schools in Les Gets for all ages.
- The La Piste Mauve Milka educational trail, which introduces skiers to the alpine terrain, is decorated with life-size figures of animals and explanatory boards with images of flora and fauna typical of these places.
- pottery workshop : In the pottery workshop, children from 6 to 12 years old will be allowed to tinker with clay and mold a figurine, while older visitors can mold a mug or pot on a potter’s wheel.
- Mountain Biking : Les Gets and Morzine are the two main hubs for mountain biking in the Portes du Soleil region , Main downhill trails : The Chavanne , Mont Chery , Pleney.
Events : The resort hosts the Rock the Pistes Music Festival in March./ In the summer, Les Gets hosts several downhill mountain biking events.
Activities : Mountain Biking / There is an open-air ice skating rink in the centre of the village. / trekking / skiing / Les Gets has an 18-hole par 70 golf course 5,264 metres (17,270 ft) long / Dog sledding, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing routes, ski joering (skiing with a horse), tobogganing, paragliding, rock climbing, indoor swimming pool, ice rink.
Go next : Portes du Soleil is the name for a massive international ski area that straddles the French and Swiss borders./ The tourist resort of Avoriaz / The tourist resort of Morzine.