Morschach is a village in the district of Schwyz in the canton of Schwyz in Switzerland.
It is located above the village of Brunnen SZ on a natural terrace overlooking the Lake Lucerne , The view extends in the southwest on the historic Rutli meadow and the Uri mountains, in the northeast on the wide basin of Schwyz.
History dates back to 1261 when “Morsacho” is first mentioned in a document. About Morschach led the pilgrim and Saumerweg over the Gotthard for a long time. Already in 1302 Morschach became a separate parish.
The present parish church dates from 1509. 1676 was in the Laui, the chapel of St. Franz Xaver built.After the construction of the Axenstrasse, a driveway was cut into the rock in 1866 from Brunnen. From 1905 to 1968 even drove an electric rack railway to the then world famous resort Morschach with its swanky hotel palaces Axenfels and Axenstein and brought an illustrious audience, Queen Victoria of England, King Ludwig II of Bavaria, Prince of Bulow, Emerich Kalman and many others.
The village Morschach is embedded in a gentle hollow above Lake Uri. In earlier times illustrious guests, artists and poets praised Morschach as one of the most beautiful areas of our country.
The municipality Morschach is divided into two places, the district Morschach and the district Stoos. These are connected by the aerial cableway Morschach-Stoos.
Morschach is especially popular for holidays with children. The Swiss Holiday Park offers a comprehensive range of sports, games and events for all ages. With the Fronalphof he even has his own adventure farm.
Access : Coordinates: 46.966667, 8.616667 / By car : By bus : It is served by bus number 4 Auto AG Schwyz. From Morschach you can take the cable car Morschach-Stoos to the even higher ski resort Stoos and from there to the Fronalpstock (1922 m above sea level) or on foot on the way to Switzerland to the Urner village Sisikon. From Axenstein two footpaths lead to Brunnen (walk about 40 minutes).
Tent and caravan sites : Ruti 4 · CH-6443 Morschach / by car :
Motorway A4 from Lucerne or Zurich in the direction of Schwyz -Gotthard, approx. 2 km after the end of the freeway, 500 m after the Mositunnel turn left to Morschach, or from Fluelen on the Axenstrasse in the direction of Zurich, 500 m before the fountain, turn right to Morschach.
At the village entrance, at the second junction turn right into Mattlistrasse and continue for 400 m. Free parking is available.
By train : On the Gotthard Line – or enjoy a steamboat ride from Lucerne – in both variants to station Brunnen, with bus no. 4 to Morschach (about 7 minutes), to the stop “Swiss Holiday Park – Mattli”, about 50 m back and then turn left into Mattlistrasse (about 6 minutes to the Mattli Antoniushaus).
- Hiking trails , In total there are about 61 hiking trails for you to discover within the region of Morschach. A special experience is watching a sunrise on the Great Myth , enjoy Wonderful viewpoints, long walks and leisurely hikes for the whole family. Every route is a highlight.
- impressive views: in the southwest on the historic Rutli meadow, Lake Lucerne and the magnificent Urner mountains, in the northeast on the vast basin of Schwyz.
- The Druid stone : The Druid stone above the village is said to have been a Celtic sacrificial altar.
- “Swiss Path” For the 700th anniversary of Switzerland, a 35 km long hiking trail was built around the southernmost part of Lake Lucerne. Divided into cantons, every Swiss citizen has a distance of 5 millimeters. The “Swiss Path” is also accessible in winter.
- Mountain bike: Numerous tours can be taken from Schwyz: for example via Morschach, Sisikon up the Riemenstaldental and over the “Hochi” to Muotathal and back to Schwyz
- Skiing: From Schwyz three ski resorts can be reached in a short time:
Ski Region Mythen: By car about 10 minutes in the direction of Ibergeregg or by shuttle bus from Schwyz Postplatz. There are several daily, half-day and multi-day passes with which between 3 and 15 ski lifts / lanes can be used. Very family friendly small ski area.
- Alphorn sounds over Morschach,Every year from May to August, you can listen to ancient alphorn sounds about Morschach.The event takes place on Tuesdays from 19:00 to 19:30. It is done in any weather.
Activities : Swiss Holiday Park Leisure Park / 9-hole golf course / Hiking / Wellness & Spa / Enjoy the magnificent view of the surrounding mountain panorama or the countryside./ Outdoor eco friendly Go Karting /
From Morschach you can take the cable car Morschach-Stoos to the even higher ski resort Stoos and from there to the Fronalpstock/ The riding school of the Fronalp farm offers a variety of taster riding lessons and private lessons./
Events : Every year from May to August, you can listen to ancient alphorn sounds about Morschach.
The event takes place on Tuesdays from 19:00 to 19:30. It is done in any weather.
Go next : Forest Park – Tipi Village / Lake Lucerne / Schwyz Kanton / Brunnen / Rutli / By funicular on the car-free mountain village Stoos