Mount Emei or Omei, or Emei Shan, is one of the four sacred Buddhist mountains in China, located in Sichuan Province. Mount Emei stands steeply on the southwestern edge of the Sichuan Basin. It faces west to the east and runs north-south. The west is a 20- or 30-degree buffer slope bordering the western mountains and facing the Chengdu Plain. It belongs to Emeishan City, a county-level city directly under the jurisdiction of the province, with an area of 1151.4 square kilometers and a population of about 435,000. The city governs 12 towns such as Lushan and Longmen and other 6 townships. The municipal government is located in Lushan Town.
the mountain contains more than one hundred temples and monasteries.On December 6, 1996 The mountain was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Since the VI century, the mountain has been a pilgrimage destination of Chinese Buddhists. In recent years, the number of both tourists and pilgrims has increased dramatically. Some temples make money for reconstruction by renting rooms and offering food to tourists. A cable car and two trails lead to the top, which often turn into a continuous stream of tourists and pilgrims. Hiking up the mountain takes two to three days.
Not far from Emeishan is the so-called Big Buddha Leshan – a World Heritage Site, which for millennia has remained the tallest statue in the world.
To reach the summit of Mount Emei, where the golden temple and the copper temple are, you have to climb a monumental staircase with white elephant statues on either side. At the top of the staircase is a golden statue of a goddess with multiple heads on three elephants.
The Emei Mountain Scenic Area with Emei Mountain as the main body is a national key scenic spot and the national AAAAA level tourist attraction.
Access : Coordinates: 29.519722, 103.3325 / Mount Emei from Chengdu :By Train: Taking a Chengdu-Leshan-Emeishan Intercity High-Speed Train or Shuangliu Airport – Emeishan Train to Emeishan Station, and then change to bus 5A, 8 or tourist bus to this site. By Long-Distance Bus: Take a bus from Xinnanmen Bus Station to Emeishan Tourist Bus Center – Baoguo Temple Bus Station , at the foot of Mount Emei /
Mount Emei from Leshan : By Train: Take a train from Leshan Railway Station to Emeishan Station, and then transfer to bus to get here. By Long-Distance Bus: Take a bus from Xiaoba Bus Station to Baoguo Temple Bus Station and then walk to the entrance, By Chartered Bus: There are many private mini-buses sending passengers to this scenic spot from Leshan downtown or Giant Buddha scenic area.
/ There are two cables cars on Mt. Emei. The Jinding (Golden Summit) Cable Car starts at Jieyin Hall and ends at Golden Summit.
/ By car : After arriving at Emeishan High-speed Railway Station, you can take the Emeishan 5A Road and get off at Jinglu Road. Then choose to visit the Emeishan Tourism Passenger Transport Center and purchase tickets and scenic tickets or choose to tour with the group.
/ Emei Mountain is located 150 kilometers south of Chengdu and 130 kilometers south of Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport. You can take the intercity high-speed train to the Emeishan Station at the Shuangliu Airport High-speed Railway Station.
Travel around the scenic area : Sightseeing Bus : Stations:
- Baoguo Temple Passenger Transportation Center ,Attractions to Visit: Baoguo Temple, Emeishan Museum
- Wuxiangang Staion ,Attractions to Visit: Qingyin Pavilion, Yixiantian, Joking Monkey Zone
- Wannian Temple Station ,Attractions to Visit:Xixin Place, White Dragon Cave, Qingyin Pavilion
- Zero km Station ,Attractions to Visit: Dragon Cave Lake
- Leidongping Station , Attractions to Visit: Jieyin Palace, Golden Summit
- Running Time : 7:00-16:00, every half an hour, every hour after 12:00/ Cable Car : Jinding Cable Car: CNY 65 (upper) / CNY 55 (lower)
Opening Hours: 5:30 – 18:00/Wannian Cable Car: CNY 65 (upper) / CNY 45 (lower)
Opening Hours: 6:40 – 18:00 / Jinding Cable Car: CNY 30 (upper) / CNY 20 (lower)
Opening Hours: 7:30 – 18:00 / Wannian Cable Car: CNY 30 (upper) / CNY 20 (lower)
- Main mountain : Dagu Mountain : Dagu Mountain is the main peak of Mount Emei. It is 3099 meters above sea level,More than 50 kilometers from the foothills to the peak, the stone path spirals and goes straight to the sky. In the Golden Dome, there is a large area of basalt that resists weathering and forms a flat top surface with a dip angle of 10 to 15 degrees./ Erqi Mountain :
Erqi Mountain, also known as Lushan Mountain, is a northeast-southwest trend consisting of granite and dolomite./Sancha Mountain, also known as Xihuang Mountain, is located in the southwest of Shawan Town/Mount Qishan
Siyi Mountain is located in the north of the Great Emei Mountain in Sichuan Province. It is five kilometers north of Emeishan City and 982 meters above sea level/Mount Qishan
. Because the mountain-shaped lobes are like flowers, it is also known as Huashan, or Wuyang Longwei Mountain, which is called “Shui Jing Zhu”. There is a Yuantong Temple in the mountains, and the earliest built ancient temple Guanyin Temple in the foothills, which is the place where the Zen master of the Ming Dynasty Gaochun Yinzong (Mianzhou, Sichuan) talks about the Zen/
- Buddhist culture : In the middle of the 1st century AD, Buddhism was introduced to Mount Emei by the route of the South Silk, and the Pugong of the Medicines established the Puguang Hall in Jinjin. In the 3rd century AD, the Samantabhadra beliefs were spread in the mountains, and China’s Yu Hui held the Puxian Temple (now Wannian Temple) under the watch. In the middle of the 6th century, the focus of world Buddhist development gradually shifted from India to China. Sichuan was once the center of Chinese Buddhist Zen. The construction of Buddhist temples came into being. In history, there were more than 100 temples. In the 8th century AD, Zen was the only one, and the whole mountain was unified. In the middle of the 9th century, Song Taizu Zhao Wei sent a delegation headed by Qi Jiye to visit India. After returning to China, he followed the plan to build a Buddhist temple in the mountains, translated and passed the Fa, and cast a giant Buddha statue of 62 tons and a height of 7.85 meters. It was enshrined in the Wannian Temple and became a boutique in the Emei Mountain Buddha statue. The cultural and artistic value is extremely high. . For thousands of years, the “Buddha Holy Land” of Mount Emei has been known as the “Pu Xian Daochang”, and it is known as the Wutai Mountain in Shanxi, Putuo Mountain in Zhejiang, and Jiuhua Mountain in Anhui.
- Martial arts culture : Regarding the history of the Emei martial arts, it differs from the Shaolin and Wudang factions. The Shaolin school was handed down by Dharma, the ancient Chinese ancestor of the ancient Indian monk who came to China during the Northern and Southern Dynasties. The Wudang faction was founded by the early Ming Dynasty Taoist Zhang Sanfeng. The founding of the Emei School is far earlier than the two factions. According to the existing historical materials, it is believed that the time of cultivating the Emei martial arts can be traced back to the ancient times. It was formed in the Warring States Period of the Spring and Autumn Period, and the Emei Pass of the White Emperor (Situ Xuankong) Arm fist is the historical basis. Regarding the geographical definition of Emei martial arts, there is still controversy in the history of the martial arts: in a broad sense, Emei martial arts is formed in Emei Mountain, so it is named after Emei, and the various martial arts circulated in the area of Bayu (the southwestern part) are due to similar geography.
- Jiu Laodong : Jiu Laodong is the largest cave in the whole mountain, with a total length of about 1,500 meters. The cave is divided into three sections: the first section is the hall and the corridor type cave, which can stand upright and is about 120 meters long. The middle section is a labyrinth cave with a network cross, which is about 160 meters long and should not be deep. The lower section is a crack-like cave.
- Ecological monkey area : There are many ecological monkey areas in Emei Mountain, and you can see the unique and savage monkeys unique to Mount Emei.
- The Jinding-Si (Gold Peak Temple) at the 30,000-foot summit, traditionally held to the summit, is completely reconstructed and requires entrance.
- Baoguo Temple : the No.1 Buddhist temple Mount Emei Scenic Area,It was built in the Wanli era of the Ming Dynasty.In the main hall of the temple was originally worshiped representatives of the teachings of Buddhism, Daoism and Confucianism, hence the Chinese name San Jiao Huizong. Later, during the Qing Dynasty, the Kangxi Emperor changed the name to Baoguo Si. Above his main gate hangs a sign of a temple name from Kangxi.
- Wannian Temple : The Wannian Temple (is one of the most important Buddhist temples in Emei Shan in the area of Emeishan in the southwestern Chinese province of Sichuan, one of the Four Holy Mountains of Buddhism in China Chinese areas.
- Linyan Temple : it was called Huguo Guanglin Temple and Huifu Temple. It was reconstructed during Ming dynasty Hongwu period and Yongle period, and it was called Linyan since then. Ming dynasty was the heyday of Lingyan Temple.Temple is located in the left of high bridge at five kilometers southwest of Baoguo Temple.
- Qingyin Pavilion : Qingyin Pavilion,is 710 meters above sea level, also known as Woyun Temple. It is named Niu Xin Temple in Tang Dynasty (now Niuxin Temple is Hou Niuxin Temple). In the early Ming Dynasty, the monk Guangji renamed it. It is a “Qingyin Pavilion” there is only one hall in the Qingyin Pavilion, and there is a “king Wangting” in front of the pavilion; the Qingyin Pavilion is small, but the terrain is dangerous, condescending, imposing, mountainous and beautiful, its overall layout reflects ” The artistic conception of “natural creation, harmony between man and nature” is a model of the Buddhist temple architecture in China, and there is one of the ten scenic spots in Mount Emei.
- The Golden Summit : Jinding is one of the most important Buddhist temple in the Emei Shan Mountains in the area of Emeishan in the southwestern Chinese province of Sichuan, which is one of the Four Sacred Mountains of Buddhism in China. It is a national focal temple of Buddhism in Han Chinese areas. He goes back to the time of the Tang Dynasty.
The gilded temple is at the top of the mountain, hence its name. Important buildings of the temple are Maitreya Hall, Main Hall and Samantabhadra Hall.
In the temple are inscriptions of various masters.
- Leidongping : The Mount Emei Ski Resort is a ski resort in Sichuan that was newly built in 1998.Leidongping is located at Lianwang Slope, with an altitude of 2430m.From here you have the best view to observe Leidong Smoke Cloud , a meteorological phenomenon in the high and cold zone of Mount Emei.
- Xixiangchi : one of the top eight temples in Mount Emei, Xixiangchi is located at Zhuantian Slope with an altitude of 2070m.
- Yixiantian : Located at Niuxin Ridge, Yixiantian is also called Baiyun Gorge / Hot spring in Mount Emei is very famous, for the spring here is the rare radon hot spring. / Skiing :
The Ski Resort of Mount Emei was built in 1998 and it’s the first ski resort in Sichuan Province
Entrance Fees : High Season (Jan.16 – Dec.14) : Mount Emei : CNY 160 ,Baoguo Temple : CNY 8 ,Fuhu Temple :CNY 10 , Wannian Temple : CNY 10 / Mount Emei : Low Season (Dec.15 – Jan.15) : CNY 110
Opening Hours : Jan.16 – Dec.14: 6:00 – 18:30 , Dec.15 – Jan.15: 7:00 – 17:50
Activities : Enjoy Magnificent Sunrise / sightseeing / photo opportunities / Hiking is one of the main attractions, with trails criss-crossing the Emeishan National Park / Skiing /
/ Clouds Sea ,clouds form into a white carpet covering on the ground without boundaries / In the Golden Summit, you can watch the four wonders of Emei – sunrise, cloud sea, Buddha light, holy light (ghost fire)
Go next : Leshan Grand Buddha – A massive, 240 ft (73 m) high buddha carved into the mountainside./ The city of Chongqing on the Yangtze / The Yangtze Rive / Chengdu : the provincial capital and largest city of Sichuan Province in southwest China / Mount Emei Ski Resort / Shunan Bamboo Forest / Jiayang Steam Train