Nazaré is a Portuguese town in the district of Leiria located in the Western subregion, in the province of Estremadura, and the Center region. Nazare is located on the Atlantic coast of Portugal in the district of Leiria about 100 km north of Lisbon. It is known as a pilgrimage site, the city has a kilometer-long sandy beach and a fishing port. It is formed from the districts Pederneia and Sitio and a relatively new settlement area along the beach.
More recently, the great wave north of Nazare has attracted the attention of international surfing elite. The giant waves and the surf events are marketed as a tourist attraction.
Nazare, on the coast of Portugal, became famous worldwide for its giant waves, which can surpass 30 meters in height. But there is much more to do in Nazareth, among gastronomic and cultural attractions.
Access : Coordinates: 39.6, -9.066667 / By bus : From Lisbon. Take the Rede Expressos bus from the Av bus station. Duque de Avila (Saldanha metro station). It takes about 2 hours to get to the central bus station in the center of Nazare. Prices are around 8-9 €. This is the fastest line.
By plane : The closest international airport is Lisbon-Portela. It is the largest airport of the country. Airlines Wizz Air, Ryanair or TAP Portugal offer direct flights from EU.
- Praia do Norte ,( North Beach ) long stretch beach with Huge waves roll in, and the north beach or Praia do Norte -Caution: Dangerous swimming.- / Forte de Sao Miguel , The Fort of S. Miguel Arcanjo , With a privileged location, the fort is a monument that has become the main point of observation of the big waves in the North Beach, that made Nazare a reference of the world surfing
- Miradouro do Suberco ( Viewpoint- lookout tower 100 meters high, with a privileged view of the village ) , Largo do Elevador | Sitio do Promontorio, Nazare 2450-142, Gorgeous view and you can also see a chapel that is ther since the 1400s which was visited by Vasco da Gama.
- Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Nazare , Nazare 2450-065, The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Nazare is an imposing church located on the hilltop O Sitio overlooking Nazare, in Portugal, and was founded in the 14th century./
- Nazare Funicular , Lugar do Sitio, Nazare, a Great way to go up to view the waves of the North beach
- Monte de Sao Bartolomeu , Amazing Views of the town from the top of the cliff.
Municipal Library of Nazareth , Rua G. D. Os Nazarenos, Nazare 2450-291,
- Estatua Homenagem aos surfistas e a Nossa Senhora da Nazare ,( Deer Surfer, the controversial statue ) Statue Tribute to surfers and Our Lady of Nazare , Estrada do Farol, Nazare 2450-065, Installed in 2016 on the way to Praia do Norte,
- Ermida da Memoria , chapel adorned with tiles and important to the history of Nazareth
- Nazare Lighthouse , Situated at the top of the hill that separates these two main beaches of Nazare, the lighthouse offers the best view of the city.
- Museu Dr. Joaquim Manso , Rua Dom Fuas Roupinho 30 | Sitio da Nazare, Nazare 2450-065, Open : 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM , Folclore Museum with Portuguese national costumes./
O Sitio , Top of the Cliff, Nazare 2450-076, overlooking the main tourist beach and seaside village
- Praia da Nazare , Right in front of the city, with a beautiful promenade and surrounded by the best hotels and restaurants of Nazare and less brutal waves.
- Mercado Municipal de Nazare , Avenida Vieira Guimaraes, 2450, Nazare 2450-000, Nazare Municipal Market , Great Easy walking place to pickup fresh meat , fish or baked products.
Activities : surfing – kitesurf, this place has a world record wave of 30 meters high for surfing / Norpark – Aquatic Amusement Nazare / Day Trips / Cultural & Theme Tours / Nazare – Jeep Safaris /