Nusa Penida is an island part of the Indonesian republic located located about 12 km southeast of the Indonesian island of Bali. separated by the Badung Strait. Administratively, it is part of the Klungkung County of Bali Province.
Near this island there are also other small islands namely Nusa Ceningan and Nusa Lembongan. The waters of the island of Nusa Penida are famous for their diving areas including Penida Bay, Manta Point, Batu Meling, Batu Lumbung, Batu Abah, Toyapakeh and Malibu Point.
Located in the southeast of Bali and separated from it by the Strait of Badung, this beautiful and wild island emerges from incredibly turquoise waters. With a population of 7,000 inhabitants and an area of approximately 200 square kilometers, it is the older sister of nearby Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan.
The basis of the economy is tourism, fishing, agriculture, which is rather limited due to the lack of fresh water. A significant part of the population is engaged in the cultivation of algae on coastal shallows in the sea, mainly from the north and north-east side of the island.
Unlike the neighboring islands of Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan, Nusa Penida has less developed tourism infrastructure. The most developed is the northern coast of the island between the two largest settlements Sampalan and Toyapakeh.
Most tourists come to Nusa Penida for its natural attractions . The island has an underground temple Goa Giri Putri, several popular beaches: Crystal Bay, Atuh Beach, Kelingking Beach, Suwehan Beach, etc. Popular tourist destinations include Angel’s Billabong, Broken Beach, Peguyangan Waterfall, Seganing Waterfall, Tembeling Forest, Banah Cliff, Saren Cliff, Teletubes Hills, and more.
On the spectacular coast of Nusa Penida, in addition to beaches, you will find incredible cliff areas such as Broken Beach, freshwater waterfalls such as Peguyangan Waterfall, Seganing Waterfall and natural pools such as Tembeling or Angel’s Billabong and Contemplate magical sunsets from Saren Cliff Point or Karang Dawa View Point just above Kelingking beach
Access : Coordinates: -8.733333, 115.533333 / There is a ferry service from Bali to Padangbay Port. The ferry to Nusa Penida arrives in the capital of the island of Sampalan. Speed boats to Bali come to Padangbay, Sanur, Tribuana, Kusamba . There are several companies of speed boats, each of which has its own pier on the north coast of the island. / The Public ferry leaves every day at 12.00 from the port of Padang Bai southeast of Bali, arrives at the port of Sampalan -north of the island.
/ The public fast boat leaves every day at 6.30 am from the port of Sanur and takes approximately an hour and a half to reach Penida / Charter boats are available, departing from and arriving at the same area as the public boats / Tour from Bali : there is also the option to travel to Nusa Penida by tour, includes transportation, guide and tickets
- Crystal bay : If you like to snorkel this is your place.- Crystal Bay beach is idyllic, and it is reached through a huge palm grove.The waters are very cold and the currents intense. As a consequence, marine life is fantastic.
- Manta Bay : Manta Bay in the south-east. the access is aborted : Dangerous
- Banah Cliffs A beautiful viewpoint to be surprised with the huge cliffs and the wonderful view from up there to the sea and the Banar island. The one that you will see with a small arch in front of you./ Suwehan Beach / Tembeling Pools : Swim at the Natural Pool of Nusa Penida , Tembeling Beach & Forest is located on the southwest side of Nusa Penida.There’s free parking and free entrance here!
- Broken Beach : Quite far from everything and on a very cumbersome road (about 45 minutes) A circular beach with an impressive natural arch, which opens to the ocean, delighting the most demanding photographers.
- Guyangan “Waterfall” : Access to the cliff is provided by stairs, which have been choking on time, and wood and steel fortifications and railings no longer look trustworthy. This is not a waterfall but streams.Peguyangan Spring -Peguyangan Waterfall. Set on the south side of the island the spring is at the bottom of 700 blue stairs
- Kelingking beach : Kelingking Beach and its dinosaur-shaped stone is undoubtedly one of the most spectacular places on the island.
- Angel’s Billabong : a natural pool or jacuzzi is known, which appears calm in the middle of the cliffs with the open sea on its infinite edge. The place has stunning views, and it is not surprising that it has become one of the most visited and busiest on the island.
- Atuh beach : a beach of prehistoric appearance, with rocks as atolls in the middle of the sea. The beach itself does not invite much to the bathroom – there are huge pointed rocks all over the bottom- but here you can rest, cool off and eat something at your beach bar.
- Pura Goa Giri Putri Cave Temple : This incredible Balinese temple is hidden in a cave that must be reached through a narrow passage. It takes pareo and girdle to enter, and a donation to enter.
- Diving Locations : The island is a world renowned diving destination. There are about fifteen sites suitable for this practice, most of them also suitable for snorkeling. Some of these locations are Toyapakeh, Malibu Point, Crystal Bay, Penia Bay, Batu Lumbung (Manta Point), Batu Meling, Batu Abah and the so-called Nusa Penida / Lembongan
- Bird Sanctuary : Nusa Penida and neighboring Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan are a bird sanctuary, created by local communities using traditional Balinese village regulations, based on the idea of the Friends of the National Parks Foundation (FNPF), an Indonesian nonprofit wildlife protection organization.
- Puncak Mundi : The highest point of Nusa Penida at some 521 metres above sea level / Tembeling Rainforest & Spring. The whole southern coast of Nusa Penida has spectacular vistas.
- Seganing falls : Near the Temple of Pura Paluang is a huge cliff that must be lowered to enjoy the Seganing waterfalls,The views from the cliff are beautiful
- Pulau Seribu – 1000 island view pont : beautiful viewpoint and a beach is accessed after going down a few stairs to enjoy a heart attack view towards the cliffs,Both very close to each other so you can visit both
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / Trekking and mountain-biking / Island & Snorkelling Tours / swimming /
Go next : Nusa Lembongan / Nusa Ceningan / Bali / Lombok / Sumbawa — an island off the beaten track. World class surfing / Komodo — fierce dragons and great diving