Obidos is a Portuguese village, of the district of Leiria, located in the province of Extremadura integrating the Intermunicipal Community of the West in the region of the Center . It is part of the “Regiao de Turismo do Oeste”. The name of Obidos derives from the Latin oppidum and means “citadel”, “fortified city”. In its vicinity is the Roman town of Eburobrittium. The city lies about 75 km away from the capital Lisbon.
In 2007 the Castle of Obidos was declared by the contest the Seven Wonders of Portugal the second of the seven most important monuments of the Portuguese architectural heritage.
On December 11, 2015 UNESCO considered Obidos as literary city, as part of the Creative Cities Network program.
Access : Coordinates: 39.358056, -9.157778 / By car : Obidos is located on both the A8 and A15 motorways. / By train : Apeadeiro de Obidos. The Obidos train station is served by Comboios de Portugal Linha do Oeste (western line). “Obidos halt”
By bus : The best ay to travel to Obidos from Lisbon is by the express bus. The bus lines departs from Campo Grande bus station, which is located on the green and yellow metro line. The journey takes about 1 hour and a ticket costs €7.95.
- The Rua Direita , the main street of Obidos / The Igreja de Santa Maria church , Praca de Santa Maria, Obidos 2510-217, The front is a simple renaissance style and inside are decorative Azulejo tile paintings and Gothic religious art
- Castelo de Obidos (Obidos Castle) a classic medieval castle, with solid stone walls.
- The town walls of Obidos / The Porta de Vila , is the main gateway into Obidos
- Pelourinho de Obidos (Obidos Pillory) in the Praca de Santa Maria / Aqueduto de Obidos (Obidos Aqueduct) it was commissioned by Queen Catarina in the Sixteenth century as a gift of water to the city.
- The Santuario do Senhor Jesus da Pedra , Largo Santuario, Obidos 2510-102, Unique hexaganol construction with amazing details inside
- Igreja Sao Pedro Obidos / Museu Municipal de Obidos ( Obidos Municipal Museum ) , Rua Direita | Solar da Praca de Santa Maria, Obidos 2510-999, Open : 10:00 am – 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- The Capela de Sao Martinho , a 14th century Gothic chapel / Sao Tiago Church , Largo de Sao Tiago do Castelo | Next to Obidos Castle, Obidos 2510-106 , very . Interesting small church with paintings and interesting books for sale.
- Museu Abilio de Mattos e Silva , Rua Direita 78 8 | Pacos do Concelho Building, Obidos 2510-001, museum with several old marionettes and artworks by Silva.
- Obidos Train Station , Estr. da Estacao, Obidos 2510-086, interesting visit to see the azulejo tiles
- Lagoa de Obidos , The salted water lagoon , small beaches to enjoy relaxing and You can also cycle round the lagoon on the walkway.
Activities : water sports : sailing, kitesurf / walking/driving / canoeing and paddle boarding / cycle round the lagoon on the walkway / Berlenga Island Small-Group Day Trip from Lisbon / Tours in Obidos : Bus & Minivan Tours , 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours , Cultural Tours. / golf : Obidos is in a region of outstanding golf courses