Tolantongo is a canyon, in the state of Hidalgo, Mexico. It is best known for the set of caves and grottos, as well as for the tourist complexes that are located in the municipality of Cardonal.
The Tolantongo Grutas are a national park that extends around hot springs.The Paraiso area -the “Hidden Paradise” section of the Grutas Tolantongo water park, formed from many small ponds, is just a 30-minute walk from the car park. These pools are fed by thermal water coming from the river. It offers stunning mountain views with one of Mexico’s most breathtaking landscapes.
There are about 40 natural pools located in the rocks, from which a panoramic view of the canyon is opened. water, flows out of subterranean sources. The water temperature is from 36 to 38 ° C.
The pools are filled with warm mineral water, which is heated by the surrounding volcanic mountains. There are also caves and a tunnel with tons of adventure adventures, a hot spring stream, and a children’s pool with water slide.
This park offers restaurant, store, parking, camping, cabins, changing rooms, bathrooms, showers, and zip line services.
Access : Coordinates: / From Pachuca, 94 km north of Mexico City, there are two ways to access the site , 76 km away: At Actopan take road 85 and at Ixmiquilpan take road 37 towards Cardonal and Tolantongo, Take road 105 to the edge of the nature reserve and change to road 37 towards Metztitlán and Tolantongo.
- The springs are hot water (approx. 35 ° C ) and contain useful mineral compounds which are absorbed to the required extent during bathing. The spa guest can get a variety of treatments at the spa.
- The Eco-Tourist Park “Las Grutas de Tolantongo”, a park that allows you to enjoy the warm thermal waters of its pools and other forms of relax.To improve the tourist experience, some services have been developed such as renting houses, camping accessories, Ziplining ,blankets,etc.
- The Steam Tunnel : This tunnel built between the rocks of the mountain is crossed by the hot springs that flow down from the mountain.
- Suspension bridge : A suspension bridge (in the best style of suspense movies) you need to cross to access the area of La Gruta and the Steam Tunnel.
- Swim in the Thermal River : It is a river of warm water that crosses the length of the park. / The Gruta : The largest Gruta is located next to a scenic waterfall and has a real steam bath atmosphere with the 36 to 38 ° C warm water.
- Hiking : a route of almost three kilometers that takes you along a mountain route between the vegetation and the the river. / The Tolantongo River :In the valley there is the Rio Termal, which also has a pleasant temperature and an intense turquoise color in good weather.
The entrance to the park has a cost of 140 pesos ($ 7.30) per person per day. The ticket includes access to all the attractions of the park in its two areas, both Paraíso Escondido and Las Grutas.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / take relaxing spa treatments and walk in the nearby fabulous surroundings. / Swim in the Thermal River / Camping in Tolantongo / fly on a zip line.
Go next : Pachuca , a city in the state of Hidalgo, Mexico. / The Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque Hydraulic System, a UNESCO World Heritage site.