Real de Catorce is a village of about 1000 inhabitants located in the desert of San Luis Potosí, Mexico.
Although its exact origin is not known, since 1772 we know of the existence of this mining town, which is also mentioned for the first time in a document dated 11 August 1777 with the term “de Catorce”.
In fact it was not until 1778 that more silver veins were found and that the city was founded. At that time, a large number of miners reached the place in search of wealth and this found ample justification in the fact that in 1803 it was the second site in the world for the quantity of that precious metal mined.
The name was taken from the word Real, for its silver mines, 4 and from fourteen thieves who hid in this place. Real de Catorce was a mining and currently tourist town located in the heart of the Sierra de Catorce,In 2001 Real de Catorce was included in the list of “Magic Cities” by the Mexican tourism secretariat
today the place has about 1000 inhabitants, but the curious atmosphere of the ghost town has been preserved.
Access : Coordinates: 23.689722, -100.8875 / Real de Catorce is located 223 km north of San Luis Potosí. To get there, take federal highway No. 57 that goes from San Luis Potosí to Matehuala.
In Matehuala take the deviation for federal highway No. 62 towards San Tiburcio. About 11 km after Cedral, take the deviation to the left and continue on a paved road towards Dolores Trumpeta where you will connect with the Ogarrio Tunnel.
/ Real de Catorce is located at: 223 kilometers from San Luis Potosí – 354 kilometers from Monterrey – 652 kilometers from Mexico City
- the cult of St. Francis of Assisi and his statue placed in the local sanctuary (full of ex-votos), attracts thousands of pilgrims, especially in correspondence with the feast of 4 October.
- The valley of Real de Catorce is also known as the place where the Huichol Indians annually celebrate the birth of Tatewari, ‘grandfather fire’. The Huichol rituals involve the use of the hallicunogenic peyote cactus, found in the valley of Catorce.
- Ogarrio Tunnel : A dimply-lit tunnel called Túnel Ogarrio. It’s 1900 meters long.The passageway measures 1.9 km (1.1 mi) long, and operates today as the only entrance to Real de Catorce.
- Templo de la Purisima Concepcion, a parish church containing a reputedly miraculous image of St. Francis / Old Silver Mines / In the Church of the Immaculate Conception there is a miraculous statue of St. Francis of Assisi.
- in 2001 episodes of the film “Mexican” were filmed here. For the sake of filming, the mega-stars of world cinema visited the ghost town: Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts.
- Cerro el Quemado : The Cerro Quemado, for the Wixaritari, is where the Sun is born and is located in Wirikuta. It is on this hill that the pilgrimages of the ceremonial centers of all the Wixaritari communities culminate when they travel to Wirikuta to communicate with the ancestors and to collect jikuri (peyote).
- The bullring : The bullring, like many of the buildings of the Real de Catorce, suffered many deteriorations due to lack of maintenance, until almost its disappearance during the transition periods from Spanish rule to independent Mexico.
- Old Mint in Real de Catorce : On the land where the building is located, which was the Casa de Moneda, there was a Plaza, it was called Plaza del Carbón, in 1863, the Illustrious City Council of Catorce, in plenary session agreed to award for sale to Don Santos de la Maza this land, for the erection of the Mint.
- Palenque De Gallos : Built in the Roman style, a unique architectural work in the Mexican territory.Currently, it is a tourist attraction, a niche for cultural activities, social gatherings and civic festivals.
- The graveyard : The beautiful perimeter walls of masonry, mainly those that adjoin Calle de Zaragoza, make this road show an impressive appeal.the old bullring and the cemetery, whose interior is divided into two sections, an old section and another in current use, in the latter is the beautiful and ancient Church of Guadalupe of Franciscan origin and long before that of the Immaculate Conception.
- The railway station : this transport and for more than 50 years it gave life to the town of station Catorce. The railroad stopped daily bringing residents of the surrounding communities and of the Real itself.
- El Potrero trail : One of The best Mountain Bike trails in Mexico / La Luz is a small mining community in the municipality of Real de Catorce.
- The town of Los Catorce is located about 4 kilometers from Real de Catorce, on the path of the repentants, which goes from Real de Catorce to Catorce station, in times of yore this was the only way to get to Real de Catorce before of the construction of the Ogarrio Tunnel.
- Dolores trumpeta : Dolores Trumpeta is located in Cerro Barriga de Plata, it had metals of very good grade but difficult to extract, it was left with silver in attempts to extract the mineral due to a flood.the splendor experienced by the entire Catorce area and its more than 120 mines.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking, / climb up to the mines and walk through them / the views of the hills and a panoramic view of the town.
Go next : San Luis Potosí is state capital of the San Luis Potosí state in the Bajío in Mexico. / Zacatecas, the capital of the state of the same name, is a city in the Bajío in Mexico