Rostov-on-Don is one of the largest cities in the European part of the Russian Federation. It is located in the south of the country, 46 kilometers from the mouth of the Don mouth of the Don River and not far from the Sea of Azov which in turn is linked to the Black Sea
. It is also the capital of the Rostov region and is known as the “gateway to the Caucasus”. “Gates of the Caucasus”, “Southern Capital”, “Rost-Angeles”, but the most famous, of course, is “Rostov-papa”
Rostov-on-Don is 960 kilometers south of Moscow. It is the political, cultural and economic center of southern Russia.The area around Rostov-on-Don was already settled in antiquity, around 30 kilometers west of the city limits was the Greek colony Tanais.
The region later became a Genoese colony and finally came to the Ottomans at the end of the 15th century, although the Zaporozhian Cossacks made frequent campaigns to the Sea of ??Azov. In the 18th century, after several wars with the Ottomans, Russia finally took control of the northern Black Sea region and the Caucasus region.
now our Rostov is a beautiful, fashionable, modern metropolis. The administrative, political and cultural center of the entire South of Russia, in recent years Rostov has been developing by leaps and bounds. Exhibitions, theater festivals, fashion and art. Trade, communication, international relations.
Access : Coordinates: 47.233333, 39.7 / By rail :
Rostov-on-Don has rail connections with Moscow. It also has connections with: St. Petersburg, Nizhny Novgorod, Murmansk, Tambov, Adler, Nizhny Tagil, Irkutsk, Baranul, Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk. /
By car : From Krasnodar along the M4 “Don” highway via Kushchevskaya- From Moscow along the M4 Don highway to the Voronezh detour. – From the east of Ukraine: through Donetsk, Ilovaysk, Amvrosievka and Matveev Kurgan. An alternative road through Novoshakhtinsk is approximately 70 kilometers longer – / By boat : Port of Rostov. Connections to the cities of: Azov, Konstantinovsk, Romanov, Yeisk, Volgograd, Astrakhan, Kazan, Samara, Saratov. River Station (Rostov-on-Don) /
Get around : In the city, buses, trolleybuses, trams are used as public transport. Payment at the entrance to the driver on the bus /
- City embankment. One of the largest and most beautiful in the country. It is famous for its monuments and fountains. In addition, there are several mosques, a synagogue and a Buddhist temple in Rostov-on-Don.
- Theater Square. The main square of the city of Rostov-on-Don, is located in the Proletarsky district / The building of the State Bank, 22a Sokolova Ave / There is also an Orthodox church and a Greek Orthodox church. There are three churches of the Armenian Apostolic Church, the Roman Catholic Communion Jesus Church, a prayer house of the Evangelical Christians-Baptists and an Advent house of the Seventh-day Adventists.
- Bolshaya Sadovaya Street (formerly Engels Street). The central street of the city. Two important avenues cross it perpendicularly: Budennovsky and Voroshilovsky
- Rostov Cathedral, st. Stanislavsky, 58 (Cathedral Square). Structurally, it is very similar to the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow.
- Paramonovsky warehouses , Paramonovskie warehouses, on the banks of the Don, between Sokolov Avenue and University Lane. The complex of storage facilities of the XIX century in Rostov-on-Don. Monument of federal significance / Drama Theater. Maxim Gorky, pl. Theatrical, 1. An outstanding monument of the era of constructivism
- Musical Theater, ul. Bolshaya Sadovaya, 134. It looks like a piano / Don State Public Library, ul. Pushkinskaya, 175a / Rostov Regional Academic Youth Theater
- Marins Park Hotel Rostov (Hotel Rostov), Budennovsky Prospect, 59. The hotel building was built in the 1930s in the style of Soviet constructivism / House of Soviets, st. Socialist, 110. The administrative building of the 1930s in the city center
- The building of the State Bank, 22a Sokolova Ave / Bolshaya Sadovaya Street (formerly Engels Street). The central street of the city. Two important avenues cross it perpendicularly: Budennovsky and Voroshilovsky.
- Pushkinskaya street (Pushkinskiy boulevard). Central Pedestrian Street / Memorial complex “To the fallen soldiers”, Frunze Square ./ Memorial complex “Kumzhenskaya grove”. / Memorial complex in Zmievskaya beam. The memorial to the victims of fascism, erected in memory of the residents of the city who were executed during the German occupation.
- Alexander Column. The only pre-revolutionary monument in Rostov-on-Don that survived in Soviet times / Stela “To the Liberators of Rostov” (Monument-stele “To the soldiers-liberators of Rostov-on-Don from Nazi invaders.
- Monument to the founders of the fortress Dimitry of Rostov, corner of Bolshaya Sadovaya st. and Fortress Lane / Monument to the first-comers (red horsemen) who liberated Rostov from the White Guards, pl. Sovetov, corner st. B. Sadovaya and Voroshilovsky Prospect
- Monument to Empress Elizabeth Petrovna (Pokrovsky Square) / Monument to S. M. Kirov, at the intersection of the avenue with the same name and st. Pushkin / Rostov Museum of Fine Arts (building on Pushkinskaya)
- Museum of Contemporary Art on Dmitrovskaya V Kontakte Russian V.png, ul. Shahumyan, 51 / Rostov Museum of Railway Engineering, ul. Portovaya, 71 (or Cossack Lane, 44a) / Rostov Cosmonautics Museum, 231/2 Stachki Ave
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities- Architecture Photography / Long distance walking at Historic Walking Areas / snapping selfies
Go next : Aksay , a town and the administrative center of Aksaysky District in Rostov Oblast, Russia / Taganrog , the second largest city in Rostov Oblast, Russia known as the home city of Anton Chekhov. / Azov , the most ancient city in the south of Russia
/ Tana ( Tanais ) , Greek archaeological site of the ancient city on the Don.