Saint-Ursanne is a medieval village in the canton of Jura, and the main town in the municipality of Clos du Doubs located in the district of Porrentruy. Switzerland.
According to legend,the Irish monk Ursicinus probably lived and worked as a hermit on this isolated spot and gave the town its name.
The historic town stretches in the narrow valley of the Doubs, on the right bank of the river, between the Jura chains of Lomont or Mont Terri in the north and the Clos du Doubs in the south.
Saint-Ursanne is the third historical city in the Canton of Jura. It has a medieval cityscape, which is characterized by town houses from the 14th to the 16th centuries. Saint-Ursanne is located on the Trans-Swiss Trail hiking trail, the Via JuraRegio Delemont-Basel hiking trail. The Route du Jura Basel – Nyon is available for cyclists.
Access : Coordinates: 47.366667, 7.15 / By train :
Saint-Ursanne is connected to the S3 of the Basel S-Bahn, which runs from Basel via Laufen-Delemont to Porrentruy. every hour.
Bt car : Saint Ursanne can be reached via country roads, but also via the A16 (Boncourt – Porrentruy – Delemont – Biel).
- The old bridge that spans the Doubs dates from 1728. In the middle is a statue of St. Nepomuk.
- The medieval town captivates with beautiful town houses from the 14th – 16th centuries.
- The railway viaduct shapes the cityscape very much and looks extremely beautiful in the landscape.
- Collegiate Church & Monastery. It dates from the 12th-14th Century and is a pillar basilica with a crypt under the choir. The abbey dates from the 11th century.
- Three city gates have been preserved, the Porte-Saint-Pierre, the Porte-Saint-Paul and the Porte-Saint-Jean, with access to the Doubs Bridge.
- A medieval festival takes place every two years. Typical handicrafts and arts are shown for three days..
- On the connecting road from Saint-Ursanne to Col des Rangiers, a race to the European Mountain Championship is held once a year.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / Christmas Market. The Christmas market of Saint-Ursanne takes place on the weekend of the 7th and 8th December / Canoeing and Kayaking on the Doubs /
Events : The medieval festival takes place every odd year on the first weekend in July.
Go next : Porrentruy – The second largest town in the canton of Jura / Delemont – The cantonal capital of the Jura / St-Hippolyte – A small town in north-eastern France.