Schärding is a very lovely Baroque town in Austria located in the district of Scharding in the state of Upper Austria. Known as ‘the jewel of the inn’, it has a colorful baroque center that is protected by medieval walls and dominated by the church of St.Georg.
On the hill where the old castle stood, today there is an interesting urban garden with magnificent views of the river Eno. One of Scharding’s most interesting attractions is the replicas of the wonders of the ancient world that can be found in different parts of the city
The city lies on the Inn, 15 km south of Passau, on the western edge of the Innviertel. Two different natural spaces meet in Scharding. The hilly sau forest, part of the Bohemian mass in the north and the expiring plain of the Inn valley to the south.
Access : Coordinates: 48.456944, 13.431667 /By Rail: Scharding is located on the branch of the Western Railway leading to Passau and is therefore connected to the greater Linz and Eastern Austria region as well as to Germany and all of Western Europe. Scharding station is the starting point of the route to Ried im Innkreis and on to Attnang-Puchheim (Salzburg branch of the Western Railway) or Braunau am Inn with continuation in Germany via Muhldorf to Munich./
By car : Scharding is close to the Innkreisautobahn A8, which leads from Wels to Passau and (as German A3) to Regensburg. The federal road network is connected to the German road network by two inn bridges.
- Silberzeile Baroque Town Center : A sight is the cityscape with town houses from the 16th to the 19th century, especially the late baroque silver row on the upper town square, surrounded by a largely preserved city wall with several medieval city gates (water gate, Linzer gate, Passauer gate). Scharding in his closed, colorful baroque architectural picture is a typical representative of the Inn-Salzach style.
- City Museum: The museum is located in the former Vorburgtor and shows the development of the city and its surroundings throughout history.
- Catholic parish church Scharding St. Georg: Built in the middle of the 14th century, redesigned from 1720 to 1726 in baroque style,Kirche am Stein: The church on the stone was built as a Sebastian church after a plague epidemic in the 17th century.
- Old Inn Bridge – the short way across the Inn :The “old Inn Bridge”, which connects Neuhaus a.Inn directly with Scharding, has a high historical value. The saga reports that the Nibelungen on their train to Hungary took the Danube down through Passau and crossed the Inn by land near Neuhaus.
- Barockgarten Orangerie : Plant house with gardener’s apartment erected in 1884 by Georg Wieninger at the town wall.
- Georg-Wieninger Street : Georg Wieninger (1859 – 1925), brewery and real estate owner, played a pioneering role in the development of domestic agriculture, founder of the first tea butter sales cooperative, later “Schardinger Molkereiverband”.
- Former Hospital Church , Kirchengasse-Wieningerstrasse 4780 Scharding built for the former Burgerspital in 1498 / Christophorus Fountain, Oberer Stadtplatz ,4780 Scharding Creates in 1963 by Prof. Hans Wimmer of Munich, this fountain symbolizes just how important water still is to the town of Scharding.
- Castle Fountain At Schlosspark / District Government Building / Gotz Tower : tower is named afte Ludwig Gotz, who bought it in 1844 / Linzer Tor : former Upper City Tower / Leonhard-Kaiser Memorial / War Memorial, Hessen Rainer Platz / Jahn Park.
- Kurhauskirche : A Capuchin monastery was erected between 1635 and 1638. Around 1800, the monastery was closed down, in 1814 the building was remodeled into a administrative building and purchased in 1928 by the Friars of Mercy who erected the cure center.
- Castle Park , Schlossgasse , 4780 Scharding / Castle Gate , Once home to the guards of the ducal palace / Passauer Tor Gate , known as All Saints’ Gate / Town Hall , Schardinger’s town hall dates back to 1594 / Schlossgalerie , Schlossgasse 7, 4780 Scharding.
- Convent Neuhaus – Scharding : The original Gothic palace burned down in 1724, but was rebuilt in the Baroque style 28 years later. The church and right-hand tract added , The building is now used as a convent and school./
- Seilergraben : The towers along the moat / Sparkassengebaude , building used to host the town hall / St.Georg’s Well / Wassertor Gate
- Cycling , River Inn Cycle Trail : The River Inn Cycle Trail leads from Switzerland via Austria to Germany and all the sections are family-friendly
Activities : Cycling / Boat Trips on the River Inn / sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking, Schardinger Innauen Nature Trail
Go next : Braunau am Inn , a town in Upper Austria, on the border with Germany / Traun , the fifth largest city in Upper Austria