Ségur-le-Château is a picturesque medieval town in the Corrèze department in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region,France.
Located on the peninsula of a loop of the Auvézère, Ségur-le-Château is, as its name suggests, a “safe place”, protected by a rocky outcrop, which the viscounts of Limoges had chosen for Establish their fortified castle there in the 9th century, of which only a dungeon remains today.
The architectural richness of the village bears witness to this sumptuous period: half-timbered houses, turrets, spiral staircases and monumental fireplaces are hidden around every corner.
Ségur-le-Château is classified among the most beautiful villages in France.and has joined the “Country of Art and History Vézère Ardoise”. Cradle of the first Viscounts of Limoges, this site was also the seat of a 15th century “Cour des Appeaux”. in the 18th century.
Access : Coordinates: 45.4303, 1.3058 / Ségur-le-Château is Located on the borders of Corrèze, Haute-Vienne and Dordogne.
- The ruins of the castle of Ségur, whose chapel has been classified as a historical monument since 1840, the rest of the castle being registered since 2005
- 18th century oval barn (or oval barn), which originally was covered with rye thatch now replaced by tin plates, has also been inscribed since 1993 / the Notre-Dame chapel. / Lasveyras bridge.
- Not far from the village, you can also visit the Chedal park, labeled “Remarkable Garden” which is made up of huts, sculptures, aviaries etc..
- Wooden house from the 15th century. Monument of history since 1934 / House of the 15th century. Monument of history since 1969 / House of the 15th century, the so-called house of Henry IV. Historical monument since 1934 / The Église Saint-Léger du Baillargeau church.
- Numerous old manorial houses including:
The house of Maison Henri IV (King Heinrich IV.) From the 15th century has been a French cultural monument since 1934.
The 15th century half-timbered house Maison Boyer has been a French cultural monument since 1934.
The house with the Schar watchtower from the 15th century has been a French cultural monument since 1969.
The Maison des Appeaux with the Saint-Laurent tower in the Farges district has been a French cultural monument since 1969.
- In the summer season: guided tours on Mondays and Fridays, local farmers ‘markets, flea market, painters’ day.
- In the Saint-Léger church a new stained-glass window has taken place. Directed by Vincent Corpet, it symbolizes the torment of the patron saint.
- The traditional day of painters, and its painting competition open to all, will take place on August 18.
Activities : sightseeing, walk through the alleys to see the beautiful half-timbered houses / photo opportunities / trekking: discovery trail of the village, hiking trails including one leading to the Lasveyras bridge.
Go next : The impressive Chateau de Pompadour / Saint-Robert / Saint-Jean-de-Côle / Saint-Léon-sur-Vézère / the town of Uzerche.