Seven Sisters is called the cliff coast, which is located between Eastbourne and Seaford. They are the most impressive cliffs of the South Downs in Sussex in the south of England, – United Kingdom.
The Seven Sisters is a chain of consecutive chalk cliffs of the coastline. Since there are eight peaks and seven valleys, it is debatable whether the name refers to the crests or the valleys. According to an exhibition in the visitor center of the National Trust at Birling Gap, the name Seven Sisters was created around 1600. Only then has the continuous erosion formed another cliff, the eighth sister. The historical name has been preserved.
The names of seven cliffs which make up The Seven Sisters are:
Haven Brow , Short Brow , Rough Brow , Brass Point , Flagstaff Brow , Bailey’s Hill ,
East of the last rock is the village of Birling Gap, which is severely threatened by erosion. Here you can access the beach via a staircase. Behind it is the already inland staggered lighthouse Belle Tout and then the highest chalk cliffs in Britain, the Beachy Head (162 m high), below which stands a lighthouse (44 m).
Access : Coordinates: 50.76, 0.16 / Bt bus : Buses 13 & 12 regularly run from nearby towns and cities such as Brighton, Seaford, Eastbourne, Hastings and Worthing.
several tour operators that run a full day tour from London./ by Rail : There are regular rail services from London to Brighton, Seaford and Eastbourne./
By car : Seven Sisters Country Park is situated in East Sussex, just off the A259 between Eastbourne and Seaford and is accessible from anywhere in the South East.
- Seven Sisters Country Park / The Coastguard Cottages at Seven Sisters Country Park
Seaford Head Viewpoint ,
- Belle Tout Lighthouse ,The Belle Tout lighthouse is a disused lighthouse located at the top of the Beachy Head cliff in East Sussex County, England. It has been called Britain’s “most famous inhabited lighthouse”
- Cuckmere Haven , From here is a simply stunning walk down Seaford Head to Cuckmere Valley, overlooking the Seven Sisters Cliffs and river mouth.
- Birling Gap and the Seven Sisters , East Dean, East Sussex, Eastbourne BN20 0AB,Open : 10:00 am – 5:00 pm , national park and a Lovely Place for a Walk.
- Driftwood Garden East Sussex , 4 Marine Drive, Seaford BN25 2RS, a small garden by the sea that’s full of character. Lewes District Business Award finalist “Tourist Destination of the Year” 2018.
Fees and permits :
Entrance is free, but there is a small charge for the Seven Sisters car park, and the Friston Forest car park.
Activities : Explore the South Downs / Hiking , Hiking along the edge – Seven Sisters & Friston Forest Circular Walk / photo opportunities / Fabulous views and great walking / Cycle / canoe in the Seven Sisters Country Park /
bathing at Cuckmere Haven / Bird watching / Paddleboarding / Camping / Fossil hunting
Go next : Beachy Head – Beachy Head lighthouse / The Long Man of Wilmington / East Sussex , Cuckmere Haven / Newhaven / Alfriston