Simrishamn is a charming medieval town located in the southern Swedish province of Skåne -Scania and the historic province of Schonen,
Simrishamn was first known as Symbrishafn and its first official information dates back to 1161 , however, there have been settlements since the Stone Age . Simrishamn, which became a city in 1361, is one of the oldest cities in Sweden. The name of the fishing village was then Svimraros which means “the mouth to the river that overflows” and refers to Tommarpsån.
The fishing village grew to become a significant port city, thanks to the Herring, which had a decisive impact on the city’s economy and history , When the Hanseatic League broke Herring lost its importance. During the time of freedom, merchant houses grew up.
Tanner Ehrnberg laid the foundation for the city’s large industry, the leather factory. How it went you can see the tannery museum in Strömska gården. The shipping companies developed as the trade grew, during the late 19th century Österlen had Sweden’s largest sailing ship fleet. Today, the city is a historic Swedish city with a warm and ocean climate.
The low houses in pastel colors lie in long rows along cobbled streets , Enjoy varied nature, a paradise for nature lovers, with nice bike paths and hiking trails , stroll around Simrishamn harbour enjoy the Natural and cultural sights – all within walking distance.
Access : Coordinates: 55.55, 14.35 / By bus :
Skanetrafiken’s Express Line 3 from Kristianstad and Express Line 5 from Lund have many departures to Simrishamn. From Kristianstad it takes 1 hour and 26 minutes, the ticket price for adult is SEK 63. From Lund it takes 1 hour and 30 minutes, the ticket price for adult is SEK 93. / By train :
From western Skane it is easy to get to Simrishamn, via Ystad, with Pagataget. The journey time from Malmo is about 90 minutes and the ticket price for adult is SEK 99. /
By bike : By Sydostleden – the southeastern trail : Sydostleden is one of Sweden’s national biking trails stretching 300 kilometres. The trail starts (or ends) in southeastern Skåne, in Simrishamn, and takes you through an amazing landscape to the city of Växjö in the neighbouring province of Småland.
By plane :
The nearest airports are Kristianstad / Everod (54 km) and Malmo / Sturup (78 km), with mainly domestic lines. A few miles away is Kastrup with countless international lines. From Kristianstad Airport you travel with Skanetrafiken’s Express Line 3 to Simrishamn/
By ferry : Bornholmexpress Allinge-Sandvig-Simrishamn only during the summer.
Get around : By bike :
Simrishamn is a small town and you have good use of a bike, especially if you want to explore nature around Simrishamn. Biking on the picturesque cobbled streets of the city center, on the other hand, is not convenient./
By car :
Avoid driving in central city. Good parking places are located near the station. The best parking spaces are located along Stenbocksgatan. From there you go to the city center in 5 minutes.
By bus :
Bus 591, popularly known as “the spinning”, runs in an 8-shaped loop and connects the city’s various areas with each other and with the train / bus station. It is run by Skanetrafiken in cooperation with the municipality./
Tip : Simrishamn’s library – a place for everyone , borrow books, magazines, audio books, speech books (DAISY), music, language courses, notes and films , You can use computer, print, scan and copy , search for information, family research, listen to lectures . read a book, read newspapers and magazines, read other magazines from all over the world in the journal service PressReader or study in our quiet reading room. All library Activities are free.
- Rock Carvings in Simrislund , Simrishamn 272 37, Open : 12:00 am – 11:59 pm , 3500 years old Viking ships carving,No parking , free entry , dog friendly.
- Mandelmanns Tradgardar , 1 Roerum Djupadal , Rorum Djupadal, Simrishamn 272 95, ecological/organic farm. all different kind of plants and farm animals , small boutique – cafe
- Drakamollan Naturreservat , Beautiful natural area with several unusual animal species forests and streams , lovely hiking trails over the hills, meadows and forest – accommodation and dinner
- Prastens badkar , a geological formation-stone rose-shaped place , located in the seafront southeast of old Viks society in the nature conservation area,
- Knabackshusens strand – The beach of Knabackshusens , popular and exotic with White fine sand beach Located between Vik and Stenshuvud.
- Autoseum – motor museum , 10 Fabriksgatan, Simrishamn 272 36, museum with a lot of old cars and motorcycles in great condition – music history & instruments, museum in the same building , At Autoseum you will also find exhibitions about toys, model flights, music, cars and more. May-August: All days 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m – September – October:
Friday, Saturday, Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.. Entrance fees : Adults: SEK 130. Children up to 12 years: Free.
- Glimmingehus castle , the best preserved medieval castle in the Nordic region . It belonged to the Rosencrantz family for a long time, but has been owned by the state since 1924.
- Stenshuvud National Park , Since 1986, Stenshuvud has been one of the 28 national parks in Sweden. The park is open every day of the year and admission is free.
- Museum of Osterlen , 24 Storgatan, Simrishamn 272 31, dedicated to the history of this area , the museum is open Tuesday-Friday 12.00-16.00 and Saturdays 10.00-14.00. On Sundays and Mondays, the museum is closed.
- St. Nicolai Church , Storgatan 18, Simrishamn 272 31, with its origins in the 1100s.the church is located at Stortorget.Just next to the church is the home town museum Osterlens museum.
Activities : guided tours / swimming / cycling , simrishamn-ystad trail , enjoy Southeast Skane / boating / canoeing / fishing , great opportunities for varied and exciting fishing / hiking , the island offers numerous hiking routes, Kivik to Ystad announced length according to official information 8 miles ,ery nice stretch and well marked / golfing , 18 holes golf course / Camping , Tobisviks is 2 km north of Simrishamn /
excursions to Danish island of Bornholm / wine tasting and walking tour of Nordic Sea Winery / Explore The coastline with fishing villages including Baskemolla and Vik.
Water Cycling! Unique fun activity