The South Foreland lighthouse is a Victorian lighthouse on the South Foreland in St. Margaret’s Bay, Dover, Kent, England, – United Kingdom.
It was used to warn ships of the danger of the Goodwin Bank. It was decommissioned in 1988 and now belongs to the National Trust. This lighthouse was managed by the Trinity House Lighthouse Service of London, the organization of the maritime aid of the coasts of England, until 1988. It is now protected as a Grade II listed UK monument since 1987.
It is a pair of headlights no longer active near St Margaret-at-Cliffe, on the cliffs of South Foreland, part of the cliffs of Dover, which overlooks the narrowest point of the English Channel. The tallest and most well-known of the two, South Foreland High or simply South Foreland, is an octagonal Victorian-style lighthouse built in 1843. It was the first British lighthouse to be equipped with electric light in 1858 and is known to be was the site in 1898 of one of the first radio transmission experiments by Guglielmo Marconi. In 1989 it was acquired by the National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty and has been inactive as a lighthouse since 1990. The South Foreland Low lighthouse was built in 1793 and has been inactive since 1904 .
Access : Coordinates: 51.1404, 1.3711 / Location : South Foreland Lighthouse, The Front, St Margarets Bay, Dover, CT15 6HP / Situated 5.3 miles east of Dover via the A258, Dover Road, High Street and Lighthouse Road.
Light House Specifications : first year 1793 , Construction : stone tower , Tower shape octagonal tower with balcony and lantern attached to keeper’s house , Tower height 21 metres (69 ft) , Current lens 1st order revolving Fresnel lens
Opening Hours: Lighthouse Closed – Tea-room 11:00 – 17:00 / Admissions : Adult £6.00 , Child £3.00 , Family £15.00 , Group Adult £5.00 , Group Child £2.50 / Amenities: Parking , Toilets / restaurants, hotels, bed-and-breakfast accommodation and museums at St Margaret’s Bay.
Nearby Attractions – Go next :The White Cliffs of Dover / St Margaret’s at Cliffe / St Margaret’s Bay / Dover Castle / Deal Castle