Stonehenge is an ancient megalithic stone structure ,it is located in the Salisbury Valley, Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom.
Located in the middle of the Salisbury Cretaceous Plateau, the amazing structure of huge boulders covers an area of 107 square meters and is located in the middle of a marshy area near the Devonshire hills. The unsolved mysteries of ancient Stonehenge provide grounds for calling it the eighth wonder of the world.
Stonehenge is one of the oldest and most amazing structures on our planet. In the language of the ancient Celts, Stonehenge means “dancing stones”.
Who erected such a huge structure is still a mystery. It is not surprising that this place quickly became overgrown with legends and myths. In the 17th century, people believed that Stonehenge was the work of giants or cyclops.
It consists of a ring-shaped earth wall, inside of which there are various formations of worked stones grouped around the center. The stone complex includes several components: 82 megaliths, each weighing 5 tons, are large processed pieces of rock, composed without the use of plaster ,
30 stone blocks weighing 25 tons , 5 triliths – a stone structure created in the shape of the letter P. Technically, these are 2 vertical blocks that support the third, horizontal one. The weight of such triliths reaches 50 tons. All of them are designed symmetrically in height from 6 to 7.3 meters.
Their purpose is still the subject of numerous controversies in the scientific world. At first glance, the stone sculptures seem completely primitive. But this is only at first glance. Stonehenge is associated with a huge number of insoluble secrets, some of which are completely mystical. A huge number of underground rivers and streams have been discovered beneath Stonehenge itself. The mystics say that water helps the accumulation and storage of energy and information.
In 1986 this building and its surroundings was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Stonehenge is considered one of the most mysterious sights in the world , is a marvelous place that is still shrouded in secrets and mystical riddles, attracting not only curious tourists, but also paleontologists, historians, anthropologists, archaeologists and many other scientists.
Access : Coordinates: 51.178889, -1.826111 / Stonehenge is located near the town of Salisbury, 128 kilometers from London, in the middle of the Salisbury Highlands , Salisbury is easily reachable by train for around £ 18 round trip , and from there you can take a bus to Stonehenge visitor center for £ 15 . Buses run from 10:00 to 14:00, back from 10:40 to 16:00.
- The first mention of Stonehenge goes back to the time of King Arthur. Legends say that the great wizard of that era, Merlin, erected it in Ireland and transferred it to England in its entirety.
- Purpose : the question arises why Stonehenge was built in Great Britain.At first, its construction was attributed to the Druids. In the Middle Ages, most people believed that Merlin erected it overnight after the British king’s victory over the Saxons. During the Renaissance, historians decided that the Druids could not erect such a building, so it was most likely built by the Romans.Now some scientists are convinced that this building is the burial place of Queen Boadicea.Moreover, the remains of ancient people were discovered here, according to the version of scientists, who belonged to 240 representatives of the local elite. , most of the human bones date back to 2570-2340. BC, and the oldest are older by another millennium.Most researchers are inclined to think that buildings of this type were not only ritual, but also astronomical structures, since other planets, stars, sunrises and sunsets could be intensively studied here.
- Visit to the Stonehenge Circle Center : The entrance to the circle must be booked in advance, when your trip has already been planned and you know the date. To do this, there is a questionnaire on the official website, which must be filled out and sent a request.
- A feature of the Stonehenge megaliths is that they are unusually resistant to seismic activity. The UK structure is extremely resistant to seismic activity. Research has shown that builders have achieved this through special platforms designed to cushion or even absorb tremors. Another feature is that they do not give the so-called “soil shrinkage”
- Being on the day of the summer solstice in the center of the complex, you can watch the Sun rise exactly above the so-called Heelstone of Stonehenge Hillstone. The diameters of the Stonehenge rings correspond to the diameters of the planets of the solar system and the moon.
- Stonehenge Mysteries : None of the scientists can definitely say for what purpose and how exactly this stone structure was erected. It remains a mystery how, multi-ton blocks were delivered to the site of the construction of Stonehenge, if the distance to the nearest rocks is 350 km. Even using modern construction equipment, it is not at all easy to deliver a stone block weighing 25 tons over such a distance, and how this was achieved in the II millennium BC is impossible to understand.
Opening hours : Daily.November – April: 9.30-17.00.May: 9.30-19.00.June-August: 9.00-20.00.September-October: 9.30-19.00. December 24 and 25, 2019 – days off.
Entrance fees: £ 21.10 (adult), £ 12.70 (child), £ 19 (discounted) and £ 54.90 (family)
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / Visit to the Stonehenge Circle Center / A guidebook is also available in 8 languages and can be purchased for £ 6 if desired.
Go next : Salisbury, a small charming English town on the Avon River / Stonehenge Cursus. A huge and mysterious monument, the cursus is a 3 km long earthwork just north of Stonehenge / 80 km north of Stonehenge, on the opposite side of Salisbury Plain, are the Avebury Stone Circles.