General Sherman is a specimen of the giant sequoiadendron (Sequoiadendron giganteum) growing in the “Giant Forest” of the Sequoia National Park in California, USA.
It is the most imposing single stem tree in the world, and is thus considered to be the most imposing living organism that exists because of the 1,487 m3 of its trunk. His age is estimated to be around 2,200 years.It was in 1879 that the naturalist James Wolverton baptized it General Sherman in honor of General William Tecumseh Sherman. Later, the utopian socialist association Kawea Colony, which established itself near the tree around 1880, renamed it Karl Marx. It was not until 1931 that the tree was recognized as the tallest in the world, after a controversy pitted against another neighboring giant sequoia, General Grant, controversy ending with the discovery in 2006 of the Hyperion whose size reaches 115.61 meters. From now on, it is the volume of wood which is retained as the most important criterion.
The tree got its name in 1879 in honor of the General of the US Civil War, William Tecumseh Sherman. The nickname is naturalist James Wolverton, who served as a lieutenant in the 9th Indian Cavalry Corps under the command of Sherman during the war.
There are two paths leading to the tree, and the nearest parking lot is 0.7 km away. You cannot touch the tree, it is fenced off with a low fence.
Access : Coordinates: 36.581667, -118.751528 / General Sherman tree that grows in the Giant Forest located in the Sequoia National Park in California in the United States ,To get to “General Sherman”, you need to drive about an hour from the entrance to the national park.
- In 1931, by comparing the parameters of the tree with another giant sequoiadendron, “General Grant”, it was established that it was “General Sherman” – the largest tree in the world by volume of wood.
- The numbers: Height: 83 meters, Girth – 11 meters,Weight – 1385 tons ,Volume – 1487 m3,Age – 2200 years old! Every year it adds one centimeter!
- Trail to General Sherman : The General Sherman Tree Trail is the most popular and busy spot in all of Sequoia Park. And the Sherman Tree itself is the main attraction of Sequoia NP.
- “General Sherman” is mentioned in several literary works. In particular, in the book of I. Ilf and E. Petrov “One-story America”.
- All visitors to the park use free buses that run on several routes. / On foot : The start of the trail to General Sherman in the car park is indicated by a beautiful wood-carved entrance.The length of the trail from the large parking lot is 1.6 km round trip.Another hiking trail called Congress Loop begins near the General Sherman tree.
Go next : Explore Sequoia National Park / The President tree – the third largest tree in the world / The Lincoln tree is the 4th tree in the world./ Tharp’s Log, a cabin formed out of a hollowed-out giant sequoia log./ Crystal Cave / Tunnel Log / Tokopah Falls / Crescent Meadow / Moro Rock / The High Sierra Trail.