Tihany is a village located on the north shore of Lake Balaton, on the Tihany homonymous peninsula, in the county of Veszprem, in Hungary.
Town of Tihany : The founding document of Tihany is considered one of the most important documents of the Hungarian language, although written in Latin, as many Hungarian settlements and places are mentioned for the first time. The village landscape is characterized by the small basalt and reed houses.
Outside the settlement, there are vineyards, pastures, forests and lavender plantations in the area.
Tihany peninsula : Tihany extends far into Lake Balaton and divides it into a small north and a large southern part. On the peninsula are the Belso-to and the Kulso-to, two crater lakes that are higher than Lake Balaton and formed millions of years ago by volcanism. Findings prove that already people from the Bronze and Iron Age lived here. The Romans also settled here. In the 12th century, monks founded a hermitage on the northern slope of Ovar Hill, whose caves can still be visited today. Since the island is rich in animal and plant species, it was declared in 1952 the first nature reserve in Hungary.
Tihany is t is one of the most beautiful settlements in Hungary, with spectacular scenery and a rich natural environment on the Tihany Peninsula stretching to Lake Balaton
Access : Coordinates: 46.90891, 17.87923 / A ferry called Lajos Kossuth service between Tihany and Szantod. / By bus from Budapest: the 200E bus to Kobanya-Kispest station from the airport, / There is a bus service from Fured station to Tihany, it appears to be the 7661 but it may depend on where you want to get to on the Tihany.
- Tihany Abbey : In the center of the town is the Benedictine abbey founded in 1055 by King Andrew I of Hungary, who is buried in his crypt. In fact, the founding act of the abbey (currently preserved in Pannonhalma Abbey) contains the first words preserved in the Hungarian language. The abbey was rebuilt in the Baroque style in 1754, and today it is one of the tourist attractions in the area due to its historical and artistic importance.
- The famous landmark of the place, which still exists today, is the echo or echo of Tihany, which was formed between Tihany Abbey and the Echo Hill, when buildings did not prevent the free spread of the voice back and forth. It can be observed even in clear, quiet weather, especially in winter.
- Open-Air Ethnographic Museum : From the abbey, the Pisky Promenade leads to Echo Hill. Here you will find the Open-Air Ethnographic Museum – farmer’s house and fishing guild house.
- Other sights of the Old Village include the potter’s house, the Reformed church and bell tower, and the Calvary. In the Doll Museum you can see dolls dressed in traditional costumes with porcelain heads , the Historical Waxworks and Pirate museum ,The lavender garden in Tihany , the Geyser cone , the ruins of the Old Castle , the Mini-train
, the Freetime Park Near the Inner Lake .the Ortorony Lookout Tower , the Via Dolorosa and the Statue of King Andrew.
- Crypt of King Andrew I : The three-nave Romanian hall crypt, built by King Andrew in 1055, at the same time as the monastery was founded, is the only surviving royal burial ground in Hungary. In the crypt lies the king who died in 1060.
- Benedictine Abbey Museum : The museum is housed in a convent built at the same time as the church. The rectangular one-storey block is connected to the southern wall of the church, and the wings enclose a square courtyard. The last ruler of Hungary inhabited by the monastery was Habsburg IV. King Charles and Queen Zita, when the antant power took place October 26-31, 1921.
- The Duke of Habsburg’s Duke Joseph’s holiday home : The beautiful building, located on a 2-hectare park, was also designed by Ivan Kotsis and was built in 1924-25 and was once a holiday home for Prince Joseph Habsburg.
- Former abbey village pub : pub tavernThe pub-inn built in the 19th century was an important place for community life in the village. Following its transformation, Fogas Csarda is a popular destination for tourists even today.
- Former abbey granary : The granary, built in the 19th century, is the largest building in the village. The two-story, rough-plastered building is surrounded by plain white ribbons and window frames, according to local custom.
- Former abbey mansion : majorThe estates of Tihany Abbey in the 18th century. s. alloid farming has taken place since. The buildings of the contemporary mansion were built in the 1830s on the shore of the Inner Lake towards the village.
- Former abbey wine cellar, press house : In the Balaton Uplands, the Romans were already producing grapes. Tihany became an important wine-growing place when the monastery was founded, and it is still to this day.
- Hermit’s place : The XI-XIV. Between the twentieth century, orthodox Greek ceremonial hermits carved out their cells, chapels and dining rooms according to the Eastern-type laura system. It is the only hermit settlement in the Carpathian Basin, and even in Central Europe, locally known as the Friendship Homes. Not far from the hermitage is Tihany’s only spring, formerly known as the Russian Fountain, today called the Cypriot Spring.
- Lake Balaton : Lake Balaton is the largest inland lake and the most important steppe lake in Central Europe. It is 79 km long and on average 7.8 km wide. The area is 594 km² (14 km² more than Lake Geneva and 58 km² more than Lake Constance).
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking , Walk along the Inner Lake (Leisure Park, Gray Cattle / Bicycle tour on the peninsula bike path / Boating, fishing / Lake Balaton full day tour.
Go next : the village of Aszofo and Sajkod / Esztergom is a town near Budapest in Hungary in Central Transdanubia is a region / Veszprem , one of Hungary’s oldest cities, in the Transdanubia region.