Tower Bridge is a combined suspension and drawbridge bridge in the center of London over the River Thames. England , United Kingdom.
The sharp economic growth and population growth that began in the 19th century showed the need for the construction of additional bridges, which were supposed to help solve the transport problem of the capital. In 1872, the English Parliament considered a bill to build a bridge over the Thames. Although the commanding officers of the Tower was against this idea, Parliament decided that the city needed another bridge that would effectively harmonize with the architecture of the Tower of London.
Designed in the Victorian Gothic style, the bridge appears to be the same age as Westminster Abbey, although it was not built until the late 19th century.
The bridge consists of two bridge towers connected at the upper level by two horizontal walkways designed to withstand the horizontal tensile force created by the suspension bridge sections on the sides of the towers. From 1977 until the 2010s restoration, the bridge was painted red, white and blue. Subsequently, its colors were restored to blue and white.
The Tower Bridge tour consists of two stages: an overview of the bridge itself, a walk through the museum and a visit to the Victorian machine rooms. The Tower Bridge is one of the main attractions of England and the city’s Highlight, Despite its relatively young age, it attracts millions of tourists from all over the world every year. And just blocks from Tower Bridge are Big Ben, the London Eye and other iconic London landmarks.
Access : Coordinates: 51.5055, -0.075406 / Address : Tower Bridge Exhibition, Tower Bridge Road, London SE1 2UP, UK / By car : car from London Heathrow without traffic jams, the journey here will take an hour and a half.
/ Red buses : You can also use the tourist red buses or public transport to get to Tower Bridge. You can use buses No. 15, 42, 78, 100, which run to the Tower Bridge stop.
/ Metro: Circle and District lines – to Tower Hill station / by river boat: they stop at the St. Katharine Pier and Tower Pier, which are within walking distance to the bridge.
- Tower Bridge is both a drawbridge and a suspension bridge. Its length is 244 meters, and the towers are 65 meters high.
- Two movable wings of the bridge weigh more than 1000 tons, during lifting for the passage of ships, they can be raised at an angle of up to 83 degrees. Despite the enormous weight and length of 61 meters, the wings rise in one minute.
Initially, there was no divorce schedule. It was lifted every time the ship approached, this could happen up to 50 times a day.
- In 1968, an American businessman from Missouri, Robert McCulloch, bought the old London Bridge to be demolished. The old bridge was dismantled and transported to the United States,A popular urban legend has it that McCalloch bought the bridge, mistaking it for “Tower Bridge” – one of the symbols of the foggy capital.
- According to the laws of Great Britain, river transport has priority over land transport, and given the mechanism for opening the bridge, it was pulled apart every time the ship sailed.
- Tower Bridge and London Bridge are two different bridges. They are often confused.
Opening hours : Summer season (from April 1 to September 30) – from 10:00 to 18:30 (last entry at 17:30) – Winter season (from October 1 to March 31) – from 09:30 to 18:00 (last entry at 17:00).
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / audio guide is also available in several languages / excursions in London.
Go next : The neighboring London Bridge / Tower of London / HMS Belfast , a Town-class light cruiser is now permanently moored as a museum ship on the River Thames in London / Shad Thames , a historic riverside street next to Tower Bridge in Bermondsey, London.