Ushuaia is a city of Argentina in the department Ushuaia and capital of the province of Tierra del Fuego, Antarctica and South Atlantic Islands.
It was founded on October 12, 1884 by Augusto Lasserre at Fort Ushuaia on the site of the Convent of San Uriel Arcangel of the Glorious Austral Winds. The city is located on the shores of the Isla Grande of Tierra del Fuego that give the bay of Ushuaia in the Beagle Channel, and is surrounded by the Martial mountain range. Besides being an administrative center, it is an industrial, port and tourist hub.
Ushuaia is generally considered the southernmost city in the world. Hammerfest in Norway is the northernmost, which is why both are sister cities (as is Barrow in Alaska, which disputes the northernmost rating). Ushuaia is, also, the only Argentine city that is located on the western side of the Andes.
Access : Coordinates: -54.801944, -68.303056 / By car :
The National Route 3 of Argentina that begins in Buenos Aires passes through Ushuaia and ends in the Tierra del Fuego National Park. As Tierra de Fuego is an island, it is required to cross to Chile and take a ferry to cross the Strait of Magellan and reach the island.
By bus :
Buses from all destinations except Puerto Natales stop at Rio Gallegos. It may be cheaper to buy a ticket to Rio Gallegos and buy a round trip ticket from there. The trip from Rio Gallegos costs $ 1300 and consists of crossing to Chile and taking a ferry that crosses the Strait of Magellan. There are three daily departures and it is announced that the trip takes about 12 hours, but in practice it is usually much longer.
By Boat : Several cruise ships arrive in the city as a destination or attraction. /By plane
There is an important airport that serves the city:
Malvinas Argentinas International Airport (IATA: USH) Located on a small peninsula between the bays of Ushuaia (in the east) and Golondrina (in the west) 5 km from the city, the airport has daily flights from Buenos Aires and from Santiago de Chile, with stops in Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas. The cost of a taxi from the airport is about 12 Argentine pesos.
- Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego – Tierra del Fuego National Park , Avenida Gral San Martin 1395, Ushuaia V9410BGA, Argentina , Open : 8:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Canal Beagle , Ushuaia 9410, view of the channel, Les Eclaireurs Lighthouse , penguins,
- Glacier Martial , the Martial Glacier area, just 7kms away, open area where two paths well marked
- Laguna Esmeralda , Stunning Lake, even when frozen during the winter , Easy and popular hike well marked!
- Isla Martillo , Walking with the penguins , / Bahia Lapataia , inside the Tierra del Fuego Park with stunning view! point.
- Cerro Castor -Castor Mount , Big Mountain with a Great ski resort.
- Mirador de Lagos Escondido y Fagnano , two natural treasures of Tierra del Fuego: the Escondido lake and the Fagnano
- Museo Maritimo y del Presidio de Ushuaia , Maritime museum , Yaganes | Gobernador Paz, Ushuaia 9410, Argentina ,Open : 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Faro Les Eclaireurs , Les Eclaireurs Lighthouse , lighthouse in the middle of Beagle Channel with sea lions and cormorants.
- Galeria Tematica Historia Fueguina , Avenida Gral San Martin 152 | Primero y Segundo Piso, Ushuaia V9410BFO, Argentina , Open : 12:00 PM – 8:00 PM , journey through the mythical history of Tierra del Fuego. With more than 36 scenes and 120 figures of characters from the history of Tierra del Fuego.
- Estancia Harberton, Ruta J Km 45 | Canal de Beagle, Ushuaia 9410, Argentina , Open : 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM , regular bus and van tours from Ushuaia, 85 km to the west via dirt roads
- Glaciar Vinciguerra , the trekking experience is wonderful and very complete , 2-4 hours hike up a 30-40% angle through forest and mountain.
Ushuaia Bay , The Beagle Channel is surrounded by the Andes mountains.
- Museo del Fin del Mundo -The End of the World Museum- . Avenida Maipu 173 | Ridavia, Ushuaia V9410BJC, Argentina , Open : 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Isla de Los Pajaros , Beagle Channel, Ushuaia, Argentina , the Bird Island. Hundreds of cormorants , lions and penguins
- Playa Larga , Ruta Nacional 3, Ushuaia V9410NEA, Argentina , alpine beach in the Lakes region. / Laguna Turquesa , alpin lake with Memorable hike.
- Cabo San Pablo , Cabo San Pablo | Ruta Complementaria A, Ushuaia V9420, Argentina , Cape San Pablo is an isolated mountain on the Atlantic coast , windswept lighthouse and The Shipwreck of the MV Desdemona.
- Iglesia de la Merced , Avenida Gral San Martin 936, Ushuaia V9410BFW, Argentina , Southernmost Catholic Church on the planet
- Acatushun Museum , Estancia Harberton, Ushuaia, Argentina , a small museum about marine mammals / Cerro Alarken Nature Reserve , More than 247 acres of a natural reserve of native forests, flora and fauna and more than 0.62 miles of river bank along Arroyo Grande.
- Isla Bridges , Canal Beagle, Ushuaia, Great Channel View
Activities : Patagonia Tours / Walking with penguins excursion / shipping cruises / hiking at the costera trail which is a 8km walk – walk with penguins in Isla Martillo , trekking trail to Laguna Esmeralda /
Beagle Channel Sailing Tour: Islands / Skiing , Several ski areas are located near Ushuaia including Glacier El Martial (on Martial Mountains) and Cerro Castor / Mountain biking / Kayak the Beagle Channel. /
4×4 Off-Road Tierra del Fuego Adventures From Ushuaia / Ushuaia Double Decker Bus Tours / Exhibition Adventures / Fun activity for families and kids at the Valley of Wolves /
/ Hito XXIV trail hike / Estancia Tunel , Hike around the Beagle Channel /
Events : International Festival of Ushuaia , The City of Ushuaia dresses up again to start the International Classical Music Festival at the Arakur Hotel. A different way of knowing the End of the World. As is customary in the International Festival, Free Popular Concerts, Masterclasses and Conferences will also take place in the cities of Ushuaia, Tolhuin and Rio Grande.
Go next : Isla Navarino / Punta Arenas / Tierra del Fuego National Park / Antarctica