Bled Vintgar, also Vintgar itself, is a 1.6 km long gorge in Gorenjska – a traditional region of Slovenia, through which the river Radovna flows. The walls of the trough are 50 to 100 m high and the height of the slope is 250 m.
The gorge contains jumps, pools, rapids, gullies and other corrosive forms of water action.The gorge is located in the immediate vicinity of Gorje, about 4 km northwest of Bled, which is almost in the heart of the Julian Alps.
The gorge is 1.6 kilometers long, with walls ranging from 50 to over 100 meters high. It was carved by Radovna. At its end is the 13-meter high Sum waterfall. It is the largest river waterfall in Slovenia
The gorge was discovered in 1891 by the then mayor of Gorje, Jakob Zumer, together with the cartographer and photographer Benedikt Lergetporer from Bled. Out of enthusiasm, they founded a building committee, and just two years later the gorge was open to everyone.
The gorge belongs to the Triglav National Park and was developed as a tourist attraction at the end of the 19th century. In addition, the river valley is one of the protected natural monuments.
The gorge, accessible by a path and wooden bridges clinging to the rocky slopes, attracts many tourists every year.
Access : Coordinates:46.39, 14.083 / The Vintgarklamm is a gorge approx. 4 km northwest of Bled in Slovenia. It can be reached from Bled via the villages of Grad, Grinsce, Sp.-Gorje and Zg.Graben
/ By bus : € 1 Schuttle Bus, which runs several times a day from Bled – Vintgar Gorje – Zatrnik.
- A paid hiking trail leads about 30 minutes over bridges, wooden walkways and galleries through the towering gorge.
- The Vintgar Gorge was discovered in 1891 by the mayor of Gorje Jakob Zumer and the cartographer and photographer Benedikt Lergetporer. The site manager Jakob Zumer is commemorated in the middle of the gorge with a small plaque in Slovenian and German.
- The railway bridge in Bled Vintgar is the largest fully preserved stone railway arch bridge in Slovenia. It was built of cut stone in 1904 and 1905 according to the plans of architect Robert Schonhofer
- The gorge was equipped with galleries and bridges for tourist visits as early as 1893
- Visitors have at their disposal a picturesque and strictly marked trail that runs along the river,
- The Vintgar Gorge can be crossed in two directions, and at both ends there are tourist information points with cash registers and toilets.
Entrance fees: Adults: € 9 , Children aged 6-15: € 3 . Primary school students: € 2 , Students: € 6 / The Vintgar Gorge is open to tourists from April to October
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking, Thanks to special metal footbridges and steps, a 1.6 km long route has been created
Go next : the 13-meter high Sum waterfall. It is the largest river waterfall in Slovenia / the villages of Grad, Grinsce, Sp.-Gorje and Zg.Graben