Vrsic (1611 m) is a mountain pass and the highest Slovenian road crossing (also the highest in the Eastern Julian Alps), which connects Kranjska Gora (Gorenjska) with Trenta Valley.
The ascent from Kranjska Gora has 26 180º curves, mostly cobbled. The descent to Tranta in the Soca valley offers another 24 U-turns. During World War I, Russian prisoners of war worked on improving the route, given the strategic situation for Austrian troops on the route to northern Italy. The Russian chapel remembers the death of a good number of them as a result of an avalanche.
Vrsic is considered one of the most important starting points for mountain tours to the peaks Mala Mojstrovka (2332 m) and Velika Mojstrovka (2366 m), Planja (2453 m), Prisojnik (Prisank) (2547 m), Razor (2601 m), Sitna glava (2087 m), Slemenova spica (1911 m), Sovna glava (1750 m), Suhi vrh (2109 m); or short walks around the surrounding area.
Today, the Vrsic pass is the highest Slovenian road crossing that connects Gorenjska and Trento in the spring, summer and autumn months. It is also a tourist spot, which is visited every year by many tourists from Slovenia and abroad and is also an excellent starting point for ascents to the surrounding mountains. When the snow falls, the pass is often closed due to the danger of landslides, access by car is only possible to Koca na Gozdu
Access : Coordinates:46.435556, 13.744444 /
- The Vrsic pass has 50 hairpin bends. Russian prisoners of war took the military route through the Isonzo Valley between 1914–16. More than 400 died in an avalanche in March 1916.
- The mountain hut Ticarjev a Dom is located at an altitude of 1620 meters. A walking route of about 15–20 minutes to the Postarski Dom hut (1688 m) starts here
- At the height of the eighth hairpin bend is a Russian chapel. the Russian chapel ) which recalls the 300 Russian prisoners of war who died in 1916 due to an avalanche while improving the road by order of the Austrian Military Command.On the south side, going up from the Val Trenta towards the pass.
- the monument to Julius Kugy, botanist and climber who loves the Julian Alps. / the botanical garden Alpinetum Juliana , where rare species from the Julian Alps are grown / the course, the ravines and the source of the Isonzo river.
- In the winter months, despite the fact that the road is closed, the pass is not alone, as it is a very popular point for touring skiers, sledders and hikers.
- Vrsic is considered one of the most important starting points for mountain tours to the peaks Mala Mojstrovka (2332 m) and Velika Mojstrovka (2366 m), Planja (2453 m), Prisojnik (Prisank) (2547 m), Razor (2601 m), Sitna glava (2087 m), Slemenova spica (1911 m), Sovna glava (1750 m), Suhi vrh (2109 m).
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking, The Vrsic Pass is considered an excellent starting point for excursions to surrounding peaks / Scenic Driving- Auto Touring
Go next : The Trenta Valley is a valley in the Julian Alps in the northern part of the traditional Gorizia region.