Weligama is a city in Sri Lanka located on the southern coast of the island, in the Matara district, Southern province. It is located 144 km south of Colombo.
Weligama is known as a beach resort destination, with small hotels and guest houses offering accommodation. Well-known in Weligama is the traditional fishing method called stalto fishing and the small island called taplovan. A white mansion from the British colonial era is built in Taploven, and it is used as a hotel as of 2013.
Today, a fishing port is located in Mirisa, part of Weligama and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the South.
Access : Coordinates: 5.973889, 80.429444 / By plane :
Colombo Airport is around 200 km away and Hambantota Airport is around 108 km away. / By train :
Weligama has 1 station, the place is on the railway line (Coastal Line) between Galle and Matara. / By car : The A2 comes from Galle and continues eastwards via Matara, cutting through the town.
/ By bus :
From Ella you take the bus to Matara (255 rupees), change there to Galle (50 rupees
- Fishing boats : Weligama is known for its stilt fishermen. However, this profession has changed its activities: instead of sitting on stilts for hours fishing for fish, today they like to wait on the shore and only mount the stilts when a tip can be expected from tourists
- Agrabodhi Rajamaha Viharaya Temple : A short distance from the statue on the rock you will find this temple, one of the oldest in all of Sri Lanka.
- island of Taprobane : Taprobane Island (the ancient Greek word for Sri Lanka) In the Bay of Weligama is the small, picturesque island of Taprobane with a luxury hotel.
- Fisherman’s Bay : next to the great beach of Weligama and instead choose the small cove of Fisherman’s Bay. / statue of Kushtarajagala / center of Weligama with a small tower with a clock and the local market
- Weligama Beach : Once on the main beach, the first thing that will catch your attention is the succession of “surf schools” – this beach meets the perfect conditions for the practice of this sport.
- The Kushtarajagala stone statue is a huge relief on a rock of which almost everything is unknown. It is believed to be originally from the 7th-9th century, and possibly to represent a foreign king. According to a legend, this king suffered from a skin disease that was treated by a local Weligama doctor.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking / The bay has a beautiful sandy beach that is suitable for swimming / Whale watching / diving or snorkeling.
Go next : Galle, Matara and Hambantota, the main cities in the region. / the tourist town of Tangalle.