The Xijiang Qianhu Miao Village is located in the northeast of Leishan County, Guizhou Province.China.
Located on the north side of Leigong Hill, Xijiang Qianhu Miao Village is about 35 km (22 miles) away from Kaili city the capital of Qiandongnan, and about 260 km (162 miles) from Guiyang City the capital city of Guizhou Province.
Xijiang Miao Village is oft-lauded as the largest Miao minority village in the around with over 1300 Miao households and 6000 people and 99.5 of them are Miao. The Miao village is situated in the deep valley with Bai River passing through from the west to the east. Most of the old wooden stilt-houses cascade on the northern two hillsides and there are fewer houses on the southern hillsides.
The Qianhu Miao Village in Xijiang is connected by more than ten natural villages built on the mountain, and is inhabited by the “West” Clan Miao.
The Baishui River divides the stockade into two. The side of the river (the left hand side after entering the gate for tourists) is mainly a commercial pedestrian street. The other side of the river (on the right hand side after entering the gate for tourists) is mainly a viewing platform overlooking the stockade.
As the largest village inhabited by the Miao nationality in China, the Qianhu Miao Village in Xijiang is a good place to see the natural beauty and feel the unique culture.
Access : Coordinates: 26° 29′ 27″ nord, 108° 10′ 23″ est / Address: 36 km from Leishan County, the Southeast of Guizhou Province / There is no airport near Xijiang. The way to the Qianhu Miao Village in Xijiang is usually by long-distance bus, chartered car, self-driving, or by train to Kaili and then transfer to a bus. In the southeast of Guizhou, to the Qianhu Miao Village in Xijiang, usually depart from Leishan , The road conditions are not very good.
If you take a train, you can first arrive at Kaili Railway Station, and then take a bus from Kaili Bus Station to Xijiang, which takes only 2 hours you can also go from Kaili to Leishan first, then transfer to Xijiang.
Kaili Station: Located at Qingjiang Road, Kaili City, Guizhou Province, it was built in 1974 and is now a second-class station. It passes 87 passenger trains a day to Hangzhou, Guiyang, Wuchang and other places.
/ To reach the Qianhu Miao Village in Xijiang, a certain amount of experience is required for self-driving, the road conditions are not very good, and there are many mountain roads
- Silver Jewelry Square : Silver jewelry is an artistic treasure of the Miao people. It is known for its exquisite materials, exquisite composition, elegant shape, colorful, simple and natural, and exquisite craftsmanship. It has been loved by the Miao people for thousands of years.
- Embroidery workshops : Miao embroidery is a long-standing handmade art of the Miao ethnic group. It is the main decorative method of the Miao ethnic clothing and a representative of the Miao women’s culture. The embroidery craftsmanship of the Miao ethnic group is complicated and exquisite, which occupies an important position in the embroidery industry of our country.
- Lushengchang : Lusheng is one of the ancient musical instruments especially loved by the Miao people. It is a must-have musical instrument in ethnic festivals. Lusheng is a symbol of Miao culture.
- Xijiang Miao Culture Museum : The Xijiang Miao Museum is a branch of the Chinese National Museum, which has 11 exhibition halls. There are exhibition halls for history, life, religion, medicine, costumes, singing and dancing, agriculture, etc.
- Rural tourist area : This field park covers an area of more than 400 acres, and the altitude is between 850 meters and 900 meters.
- Youfangchang : Youfangchang has been preserved since Jianzhai. It is a public place where young Miao men and women meet and fall in love. In Youfangchang, young men and women use whistles, Konoha, Yexiao, Lusheng, and singing folk songs to introduce and interact with each other.
- Batik Workshops : Batik is a gem of traditional Miao skills. In 2008, Miao batik was listed as the third batch of intangible cultural heritage in the country. The traditional Miao wax painting tools are mainly made of bamboo, wood and animal hair tubes. Nowadays, wax painting tools made of copper, brass or aluminum sheet are also very common.
- Observation deck : The viewing platform is the best place to enjoy the morning, night, and panoramic views. There are long viewing pavilions on both sides, where you can see the majestic figure of the “Thousand Miao Village”, which is well-known at home and abroad.
- Shouzhai Tree (Liquid Sweetgum) : The Miao people worship all things, and as long as they are spiritual, they will worship. The sweetgum tree is one of the things that the Miao people worship. The sweetgum tree is regarded as a Baozhai tree in Xijiang.
- In Miao Village, you can often see Miao girls with big flowers in the bun on the top of the head. It’s not fun to watch, you can also rent a few sets of Miao clothes to dress up as a Miao girl, which is very beautiful and very popular with girls.
- The Miao people’s farming, festivals, silver decorations, clothing, food, singing and dancing and their legacy and ancient customs have been passed down from generation to generation here, and are praised by Chinese and foreign anthropologists and folklorists. It is a relatively complete place to preserve the “primitive ecology” culture of the Miao nationality.
- In 1999, the Xijiang Qianhu Miao Village was listed as the province’s key protection and construction of ethnic villages and towns.
- in 2006, 11 cultural heritages including Miao embroidery, Miao silver forging techniques, Miao ancient songs and Miao stilt building techniques were listed as national-level cultural heritages by the State Council.
- in 2007, it was named “Chinese Historical and Cultural Town” and won the “Chinese Rural Tourism “Feiyan Award” Best Folk Culture Award” and “Best “Landscape Village” and other honorary titles.
- in 2010, it was named “the top ten charming scenic spots in Guizhou” in 2011, it was named “the top ten most beautiful villages in China” and “the most charming ethnic villages in Guizhou”.
- n 2015, it won the honor of “National Top Ten Ecological Civilization Scenic Spots” and “World Top Ten Rural Resorts”.
Open Hours: all the day / Tickets: 100 Yuan/person 20 Yuan for sightseeing bus for four rides= At north Gate is available in 24 hours and the sightseeing buses running up and down viewing deck are available during 08:00-24:00.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / hike around their valley – Strolling along the farmers’ paths / free song-and-dance performances / explore the village and surrounding scenic area.
Go next : Langdeshang Miao Village / Datang Short Skirt Miao Village / Qingyan Ancient Town