Katu-Yarik Pass in the Altai Mountains in the region of Ulagan rayon of the Autonomous Altai Republic in the Siberian region of Russia.
Katu-Yarik Pass Is a mountain pass along which the Balyktuyul-Balykcha road crosses the Chulyshman Range and descends from the Ulagan Plateau to the valley of the Chulyshman River. The pass is unique: high, scary, dangerous and one-sided, that is, it practically has one descent. And the descent is amazing: it passes along the slope of the gorge, which has a steepness of more than 45 degrees and a height of almost 800 meters from the foot! The pass is located in the Ulagansky district of the Altai Republic.
Katu-Yaryk is a pass of the Ulagansky district, thanks to which there is a car connection with the valley of the Chulyshman River and access to the southern outskirts of Lake Teletskoye.
The pass is a descent from the Ulagansky plateau to the Chulyshman valley – it is a 3.5-kilometer zigzag of 9 loops cut down in a ~ 70? mountain slope, with a 800-meter vertical drop, a “one-track” over the precipice, you can only drive off oncoming cars on turns ( there are small pockets). Gorny Altai: Katu-Yaryk: Finishing line of descent and parking of Katu-Yaryk at the foot of the pass Gorny Altai: Katu-Yaryk:
Until 1989, there was no automobile road descending into the valley of the Chulyshman River – the inhabitants of the surrounding villages used a steep horse trail, or a waterway through Lake Teletskoye. In 1987, on the initiative of the director of the state farm “Soviet Altai” A.V. Sanaa began construction of an automobile descent into the Chulyshman Valley. The opening of the Katu-Yaryk pass took place in October 1989.
On October 20, 2011, the construction of a new pass began, which will become a safer alternative descent.
Access : Coordinates: Turn from the Chuysky tract to Ulagan 50.308250, 87.605816
Balyktuyul village, turn right to the pass 50.749403, 88.037161 / The pass is located in the Altai Mountains in the Ulagansky region of the Altai Republic. The path to the pass goes along the M52 highway from the city of Novosibirsk through the city of Biysk to the village of Aktash. From Aktash there is the Ulagan tract to the village of Balyktuyul. Further, a dirt road leads to the popular pass at the Pazyryk mounts.
- Katu-Yaryk is the first automobile descent to the Chulyshman valley (the second is located near the village of Yazul). Located on 31 km of the Balyktuyul-Koo-Balykcha highway. This road leads to the southern tip of Lake Teletskoye.
- The slope angle of the pass is ~ 70% (63 °), the average slope of the roadway is 18% (10 °). Coating – soil, stones. The height of the pass from the foot to the intersection at the observation deck is 515 m.
- From the observation deck, located at the top of the pass, a stunning view opens: in the depths of the endless gorge, with almost sheer rocky walls at a kilometer high, Chulyshman curls in a narrow ribbon, on the other side of the gorge a waterfall sparkles on the Karasu stream and the tops of the Chulyshman plateau are piled up.
- Uchar Falls : the impregnable Uchar Falls, the Stone Mushrooms tract – magnetically attract romantics from all over the world. So the Katu-Yaryk pass has become a popular attraction for tourists and travelers.
- You can stop under the pass, there are many recreation centers. Prices for accommodation from 500 rubles per person. Cellular connection does not work. At the top there is a cafe with a very colorful service, they may ask you to wash the dishes.
Activities : Altai expedition / sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking
Go next : to the south of Lake Teletskoye / the valley of the Chulyshman River / Kidelu Mountain Lake