Laboe’s marine memorial -German Marine-Ehrenmal Laboe- stands in Laboe at the mouth of the Kiel Fjord approximately 15 kilometers northeast of Kiel in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.
The memorial was erected between 1927 and 1936 and was originally to honor German marines who fell during World War I. Since 1996, the facility is reminiscent of all sailors from all nations who left their lives on the oceans. Today, Laboe’s marine memorial is an international peace monument and a museum visited by over 14 million people between 1954 and 2004. The 85-meter high tower of the monument is a well-known landmark and an example of expressionist architecture in Germany.
Access : Coordinates: Locayion : Deutscher Marinebund e.V. Strandstraße 92
24235 Laboe / 54.412186, 10.230797 / By boat :
The ferries of the Towing and Ferry Company Kiel (SFK) sail to the 4 ferry terminal in Laboe in the summer months from mid-March from the main station every hour (every two hours) to Laboe. /
by car :
From the motorway A210 / A215 to the symbol: AS 2 Kiel-Mitte, then the motorway B76 and the well-developed B502 to Brodersdorf, where the road branches off to Laboe.
- The tower : The tower is 72 meters high4, 31.5 meters long and 13.80 meters wide, 85 meters above the level of the Baltic Sea and you have to ascend 341 steps to reach the top, or take two lifts. The tower is surrounded by a 5.7 hectare complex with a 7000 m2 sandstone terrace, an exhibition building presenting the history of the German Navy with numerous model ships and all kinds of objects.
The navy of Federal Germany has, for its part, requested a separate place, which is at the entrance, for the memory of its sailors who “have died since 1955, fulfilling their duty” according to what is inscribed on the left, and for the civilian victims of disasters at sea, according to what is written on the right.
The U-Boat U-995 submarine is also exposed near the tower , It is the last surviving VII C submarine in the world. / underground memorial hall. The historic hall is home to numerous ship models. In addition to the marine and maritime exhibits / The heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen Propeller
- opening hours : November to 28. February 10:00 to 16:00 Daily guided tour at 14:00
- March 1st to March 31st 09.30 to 17.00 Daily guided tour at 15:00
- April to 31. May 09.00 to 18.00 Daily guided tour at 16:00
- June 1st to September 30th 09.00 to 19.00 Daily guided tour at 17:00
- October 1st to October 31st 09.30 to 17.00 Daily guided tour at 15:00
- December 24 & December 31 (Christmas Eve & New Year) 10:00 to 14:00
Admission fees : Personenkarte Marine memorial submarine U 995 Combi card
Adults € 6.50 € 5.00 € 10.00 / Pupils, students, soldiers (with valid ID) 4.50 € 4.00 € 7.00 € Youths (6-17 years) 4.50 € 4.00 € 7.00 € Disabled persons from 50% disability (with valid ID) 5.50 € 4.00 € 9.00 € / Group tickets (prices per person) Marine Memorial U-Boat U 995 Combi Card / Adults (from 15 persons) 6.00 € 4.50 € 9.50 € / Teenagers (from 15 persons) 4.00 € 3.50 € 6.50 € / Family ticket (2 adults + 2-4 children) 18,00 € 15,00 € 28,00 €
Activities : Daily tours / sightseeing / photo opportunities / Swimming / Skating can be done from Laboe on a wonderful circuit / Biking along the coast / View from the Naval Memorial to the south on Laboe and the Kiel Fjord /
Go next : Lubeck / Neumunster / Plon / Rendsburg / Schleswig Brodersdorf / Stein / Lutterbek / Wendtorf / Heikendorf