The Castle of São Jorge da Mina, ( Castle of St. George of the Mina ) also known as Castelo da Mina – Fortaleza da Mina, or simply Mina, is located near the city of Elmina, in Ghana, in coast of West Africa.
The fortification was built by the Portuguese in 1482 to protect the Gold Coast, which they discovered in 1471. The castle’s defense system and its structures were improved and completed in 1486. They named the complex São Jorge da Mina. from the fortress trade in gold, ivory and slaves was carried out and goods were sent for export.
St. George’s Castle is now one of Ghana’s main tourist attractions and has been a World Heritage Site since 1979.
Access : Coordinates: 5.0826, -1.3481
- São Jorge da Mina was the first Portuguese and European fortress in sub-Saharan Africa.
- In 1987 it hosted the filming of Werner Herzog’s film Cobra Verde.
Go next : Elmina , a town located on the coast of Ghana.