The Church of St. Elizabeth also known as Blue Church or the Blue Church, is a Catholic church in Bratislava,Slovakia.
Built by Hungarian architect Ödön Lechner in Art Nouveau style. The foundation stone of the temple was laid in the foundation on August 23, 1909. The consecration of the church in honor of St. Elizabeth of Hungary took place in 1913.
There is two versions of how the church was founded – the first says that it was founded by Countess Sapari, and according to the second, its construction was started by Emperor Franz Joseph himself in memory of his deceased wife Elizabeth.
The church was actually built with the assistance of Countess Sapari, who had a great influence in society.
The church is called blue because of the color of its facade,which was originally painted in light pastel colors, mosaics and majolica. Originally, the building was part of a nearby gymnasium and served as a school chapel.
A reproduction of the church represents Slovakia at the Mini-Europe park in Brussels.
Access : Coordinates: 48.143389, 17.116833 / Address: Bezrucova 2, Bratislava 811 09. / The church is located in the eastern part of the old town of Bratislava, Slovakia. It rises at the corner of Bezručova and Gajova streets. / it is easy to walk to it from the historic city center.
- The building is characteristic of the szecesszió style, a movement of Art Nouveau related to the Viennese secessionist style. The plan of the church is oval, it is covered with barrel vaults decorated with frescoes in pastel tones and surmounted by a sloping roof .Above the entrance to the church there is an Italian mosaic with St. Elizabeth and roses, and on the right is a cylindrical church tower 36.8 meters high. The main and side entrances are enclosed in double Romanesque columns. The pillars are also located near the windows. According to the architect’s idea, the temple was to be crowned with a dome, but in the process of construction it was decided to erect a hipped roof.
- The cylindrical campanile measures 36 m in height. He wears a dome, itself surmounted by a cross of Lorraine.
- The church is dedicated to Elizabeth of Hungary ( 1207-1231 , also known as Saint Elizabeth of Thuringia , was a princess of the Kingdom of Hungary,Landgravine of Thuringia, Germany ), daughter of Andre II of Hungary and canonized in 1235, who grew up in Bratislava Castle.
Since the Blue Church is an active Catholic church, you can enter here free of charge any day during business hours.
Opening hours: Monday to Saturday – 07:00 to 07:30 and 17:30 to 19:00 ,Sundays and Catholic holidays – from 07:30 to 12:00 and from 17:30 to 19:00.
Activities : sightseeing / Photography, Architecture Photography / Long distance walking – walk in town with its old districts.
Go next : Explore Bratislava : Bratislava Castle , The historic building of the Slovak National Theatre , Michael’s Gate with Tower , Hviezdoslav Square.