The island of Dino is an Italian island located along the north-western coast of the Tyrrhenian Sea, opposite the town of Praia a Mare in Calabria, more precisely in front of Capo dell’Arena in the south of the country.
On the northern side, in front of Capo dell’Arena, there is a small docking pier from which a rolling road starts which with a development of 1700 meters leads to the cottages located in the upper part of the island.
with overhanging cliffs over 80 meters high and others rather steep, at the base of which, both below and above the sea level, the erosion on the limestone rocks has given rise to many caves including that of the “Monaco “, Of the” Sardines “where there are stalagmites, of the” Waterfalls “, of the” Lion “and finally the” Blue Grotto “which is the largest.
But the most interesting cave of the island, although accessible only to expert divers, is the Grotta Gargiulo, which opens 18 meters below the surface of the sea and extends into the depths of the island for a few tens of meters
There is no specific settlement on the island, only a few holiday homes.
Access : Coordinates: 39.873889, 15.775 / The island of Dino is located in front of the town of Praia a Mare, more precisely in front of Capo dell’Arena south of the country. / From Praia a Mare you can take a boat that docks on a small pier directly on the island. That is the only possible point for a safe docking, because the rest of the coast is characterized by steep rocks and cliffs overlooking the sea up to 80 meters high.
- You can climb to the top of Capo dell’Arena, south of Praia a Mare, to admire the majestic glance on the Dino Island and enjoy the splendid panorama from the Calabrian coast
- The name of the island is a legacy of the glorious Greek past of these lands. Dino comes in fact from the Greek term ‘dina’, which means storm,In fact, at one time the waters close to the southern tip of the island, called Frontone, were dangerous for sailors on rough days
- The places not to be missed are the many millenary caves and the limestone cliffs that plunge into the crystal clear sea.
- With the program of “oriented walks” you can discover the island’s natural and landscape heritage.
- Together with the guides, you will explore the island, arrive at the tower at the extreme western tip of the island and discover the stele dedicated to the Madonna della Grotta on the highest point of the island, where there is a lovely viewpoint.
- the Blue Grotto : the numerous sea caves that open between the rocks. Among these, the most famous are the Blue Grotto, for the intense blue color of the water inside, and the Grotta delle Cascate
- Gargiulo Cave : 18 meters below the sea, the most mysterious cave of the Island of Dino opens: the Gargiulo Cave, a wonder accessible only to diving experts.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking / The best way to explore the caves is to take one of the many boat excursions that leave from Praia a Mare or from Scalea to the island. / diving / swimming, and casual relaxing.
Go next : the town of Praia a Mare / Isca Marina : a village in Calabria, Italy. It is situated in the very south continental part of Italy,