The Catalan village of Ceret, capital of Vallespir so-called Terre Catalane, located in the department of the Pyrenees Orientales, in the Occitania region in the South of France. It is the capital of the Vallespir region. It is popularly known as “cherry capital”, for its important production of this fruit . Ceret is located at the foot of the Pyrenees 200 km from Montpellier, 250 km from Toulouse and 180 km from Barcelona, and is crossed by the Tech River.
Ceret has been documented since 814, in a precept by Lluis el Piados.In the seventeenth century Ceret became a first-rate political center for the holding of conferences for the implementation of the Treaty of the Pyrenees. Ten years later, in addition, it was the center of the Revolt of the Angelets.Today Ceret is a particularly active town in the cultural field. The biggest of its attractions is the Museum of Modern Art of Ceret. Apart from this museum, there is the Heritage House Francoise Claustre, the Museum of Instruments Ceret and the Ludovic Masse Media Library. In addition, there are 76 cultural associations of all kinds that ensure a constant cultural activity in the city.
The Artists : The historic town of Ceret is known for the stays of great painters and sculptors: in 1910 Manolo Hugue, a friend of Pablo Picasso, settled there in 1911, and later they joined Georges Braque and poet Max Jacob . From 1911 to 1914 Picasso painted many Cubist works. By the same time they also went to the town Juan Gris and Auguste Herbin. In 1919 the Lithuanians Chaim Soutine and Pinchus Kremegne, expressionists, and the Cubist Andre Masson. Later, Marc Chagall, Raoul Dufy, Albert Marquet and Jean Cocteau. In 1950 Pierre Brune, installed in Ceret since 1916, founded the Museum of Modern Art, to which Picasso and Matisse gave several works. In 1953, Picasso returned to Ceret, and gave the museum more works. In 1983 he went to paint Antoni Tapies and dedicated himself to a museum room. In 1990, a canvas of Picasso from the blue period was taken to Ceret (the Portrait of Corina Pere Romeu).
Access : Coordinates: 42.4892, 2.7522 / From Spain : We leave the A-9 (Perpignan-Barcelona) via the exit Le Boulou (49 km before the French-Spanish border). On the D-115 we drive 6.8 km up the valley of Tech up to Le Pont de Ceret. / From Frnce : 35 km from Perpignan by the RN9 (or A9) then the D115. 40 km from Figueres by the AP-7.
Get around : Ceret has bus transportation thanks to several lines of Le bus a € 1, departmental service , there is the line 300/340, from Perpignan to Arles, the 340/341, from Perpignan to the Presta, and the 401, from Ceret to Argelers de la Marenda. All these lines offer many services every day.
- The town , Built around its church and a circular wall, the city of Ceret offers a beautiful panorama of Catalan architecture and beautiful testimonies of regional culture.Ceret has many testimonies of different painters who have passed through its streets. Therefore, you can admire a statue of Manolo Hugue and a monument classified historical monument by Aristide Maillol. Other sites classified as historical monuments throughout the city, such as the Porte de France ,It is located at the end of Boulevard Marechal Joffre. The house that lies between the two towers, dates from the 19th century and its facade has Italian inspiration.
- the Boulevard du Marechal Joffre : It is the commercial promenade of the town, since most stores are here. Also serve to enjoy a pleasant walk under the shade of its centuries-old banana trees.
- the Tour d’Espagne ,It is located near Picasso Square and has been recently restored. It currently hosts the Archeology Museum.
- the Les Arcades , Located in Picasso Square, they have also been restored. This place is an important meeting place for the inhabitants of the town
- Musee d’Art Moderne – museum of modern art ,8 boulevard Marechal Joffre, 66403 Ceret, founded by Peter Brown and Frank Haviland, located in the heart of the city, in an old Carmelite convent. Cups of the bullfights Pablo Picasso, or the works of Miro, Matisse, Chagall, extensive exhibition of Andre Masson paintings,Dali or Braque are visible in the different rooms.
- Ermitage de St Ferreol – The hermitage of St Ferreol , Rte ‘Ermitage de St Ferreol | Off the D115, Ceret,this chapel dates from 1370 when we find the chaplain Guillaume Cabret who makes a donation to a certain Arnaud Royre, brassier of his state The hermitage consists of a 13th century chapel which was rebuilt in the 18th century, a building adjoining the hermit’s chapel and large buildings built more recently to accommodate the pilgrim crowd, is located 5kms north-east of Ceret, on the left bank of the Tech
- Pont du Diable – Devil’s Bridge , Located at the Entrance to Town, he Old Bridge of Ceret is an ancient medieval arch bridge with a single arch dating from the 14th century (between 1321 and 1341). It is located in the city of Ceret (in Vallespir, France). It passes over the Tec River. .Local legend says that the stone missing from the bridge would have been stolen by the devil.
- Fort de Bellegarde – Fort Bellegarde , Rue du Fort | Le Perthus, the first mention of a medieval fort in Bellegarde only dates from 1324.It is likely that a signal tower was the first military structure built at the top of this hill.Placed in the center of the vast depression formed by these two passes, Bellegarde has played a major strategic role over the centuries
- Eglise Saint-Pierre – Church of Saint-Pierre de Ceret , 4 Rue de l_Eglise, A baroque masterpiece, The church is mentioned for the first time in 814 (bc Petri) 2 in a precept of Louis the Pious in favor of the brothers Guimar and Rado.The marble portal is classified as a historic monument on July 20, 1927, then the building in its entirety on December 23, 1998. The bell tower is with a small carillon of 7 bells, completely renovated
- MuSIC Museum of Musical Instruments, 14 rue Pierre Rameil, collection of music instruments and figures from different places in the world, Estimate duration: 1-2 hours.
- Chateau d’Aubiry , 1929 Chemin Communal d’Aubiry 20, Chateau d’Aubiry is anis an Art Nouveau style chateau built in Ceret , Built between 1893 and 1904 by the Danish architect Viggo Dorph Petersen, commissioned by the industrialist Jean Bardou , It is a set formed by a castle, the Santa Margarita chapel, greenhouses, the gardener’s house, terraces and a park, the main entrance and the house of the concierge, all in one wall.
- Foret Communale de Ceret , Ceret Municipal forest , Distance from Ceret 5 km , Great walking area and from The mountain above Ceret you can ejoy 360 degree panoramic views
- Metiers d’Art Sant Roch , 4 boulevard la Fayette, Exhibition gallery of unique pieces of original objects, and paintings,The association is managed by artisans, you can find : Ceramics • Wood Jewellery • Leather Goods and Handbags • Hand-woven scarves • Glass • Sculpture • Wrought Iron • Paintings ,Open : in winter : Wednesday-Friday 2:30 pm – 6 pm , Saturday 10h-12h30 & 14h30-18h , in summer : July / August – Monday to Saturday: 10h-12h30 & 15h-18h30
- Fontaine des Neuf Jets – The fountain of the Nine Jets , Place des Neuf Jets, is the main fountain of the city. It is built in 1313 on the square of the same name, The fountain is classified as a historic monument , located in the center of the small square, all around pedestrian streets and around a few restaurants
- Mediatheque , provincial library , 2 rue du Commerce | Maison Companyo,Outdoor reading area , Documentation area (arts, history, geography, sciences, encyclopedias regional fund, catalan rugby fund), Multimedia space , Press, Video Library
- Canyon Cascades de Baoussous – Canyon Baoussous Waterfalls, Salt dels Baussos, discover one of the most fun and outstanding gorges in the Eastern Pyrenees.Located in Ceret you’ll find the outstanding Cascades Baoussous, now a popular canyoning spot in the Eastern Pyrenees.Toboggans, small jumps, various rappelling: this is an initiation canyon where all the ways to play with the river are discussed.
- War memorial of Ceret , The war memorial of Ceret is a monument to the a World War I created by the French sculptor Aristide Maillol located at the Place de la Liberte , the monument to the dead of Ceret is the subject of a classification as historical monuments since March 17, 1994 , The sandstone monument depicts a grieving woman resting her head on one hand.,In the Jardin du Carrousel at the Louvre in Paris is a bronze version of La douleur.
- Archaeological & Heritage Museum – ‘Maison du Patrimoine – Francoise Claustre’ : Address: Place Picasso BP 303 , a wide representation of the area’s heritage. It also provides educational material on the subject of pre-historic art plus a contemporary art exhibition.
Activities : Ceret has some great walks, Marked by the family walks through the surrounding countryside circuits, such as the trip to the chapel of San Ferreol or the Ceret Municipal forest / Canyoning at the Canyon Baoussous Waterfalls / photo opportunities- photography trips / Scenic Driving- Auto Touring / Hiking in Vallespir
Events : the bullfights contest of sardanas festival pays tribute to the famous traditional Catalan dance ,the July fair, Ceret de Toros, or the famous Sardana festival / the cherry festival at the end of May / the Habaneras del Vallespir Festival in June
Go next : Reynes / Argeles / Perpignan / Canet-en-Roussillon / Elne / Collioure / Barcares / Canet / Montpellier / Toulouse