Vipiteno (Sterzing in German) is an picturesque Italian town of about 7,000 inhabitants, located in the autonomous province of Bolzano, in the Isarco (Eisack) valley, on the in South Tyrol in northern Italy. The town is part of the association of the most beautiful villages in Italy.
The first traces of settlement can be found in prehistoric times. The settlement of Vipitenum is documented under the Romans. Vipiteno lies on a branch of the historic Amber Road over the Brenner Pass.The German name Sterzing was first mentioned in a document in 1180. The town received city rights under Count Meinhard II in 1280 and was significantly expanded.
In the Middle Ages Sterzing was an important trading town under the Fugger family. From the 15th century, silver mining became an important source of income in Ridnaun. The city continues to flourish, magnificent patrician houses are built. At its peak, Vipiteno is a trading and market place, as well as the seat of the courts.
The city is surrounded by great peaks, from here the river Isarko springs and there are many ski resorts. The area where the city is located is part of the Isarko valley and is known as the “Upper Isarko valley”.
Due to its location between the Jaufen Pass , Brenner Pass and the Penser Joch ( Penser Joch is a high mountain pass in South Tyrol, northern Italy ) , Vipiteno has always been an important trading town. Today the town is important as the main town of the Wipptal district community, a shopping town, a local tourism and business center and the location of a hospital.
Access : Coordinates: 46.883333, 11.433333 / Vipiteno located 15 km from the Brenner Pass and the tunnel of the same name, 30 km from Bresanone, 70 km from Bolzano and 50 km from Innsbruck, Austria.
- On the slopes of Monte Cavallo are the ski lifts of the village ski resort, which can be reached in a few minutes from the center. Besides the normal ski resorts, there is also one of the longest toboggan runs in South Tyrol, approximately 10 km long.
- Vipiteno Moss : The Sterzinger Moos south of the city limits was a very swampy area before it dried out in 1877. In many North Tyrolean carnival traditions, the Sterzinger Moos is the area where, according to legend, all unmarried maidens had to go to atone for their marital renunciation.
- The city is also a member of the association I borghi più belli d’Italia (The most beautiful places in Italy),, the municipality of Vipiteno also includes the villages of Tschöfs, Thuins and Ried.
- In Vipiteno there is the “Davide Menini – Riccardo De Caroli” barracks, seat of the 5th Alpine Regiment.
- The Christmas market takes place before Christmas until January 6th. / The dumpling festival is held on a Sunday in September. Over 70 different types of dumplings are served at a row of tables 400 meters long.
- Vipiteno is the headquarters of the Milchhof Sterzing cooperative with 170 employees (production of butter, yoghurt and other dairy products)
- Ancient Commandery of the Teutonic Order. The Deutschhaus is located near the parish church and the complex includes: the Civic Museum, the Multscher Museum, the church of Sant’Elisabetta, the Musical Institute and the headquarters of the Bürgerkapelle Sterzing (Vipiteno city band).
- Top sights in Vipiteno : Jöchlsthurn residence with adjoining St. Peter and Paul church, built in several construction phases in the 15th and 16th centuries./ Town hall with late Gothic room, 1468–1474 / Tower of the Twelve, symbol of the city / The parish church of Our Lady in the Moss on the southern outskirts of the city was built in two stages. The citizenry built the chancel in 1417-1456. The nave of the late Gothic hall church was built in 1496-1524. The high altar in the church choir contains five figures from the Multscher altar by the Ulm master Hans Multscher, erected in 1459. / The Holy Spirit Hospital with the Holy Spirit Church was built in 1399-1402.
/ City Museum Sterzing and Multscher Museum (exhibits on the history of Tyrol in general and on the history of the city of Vipiteno. / State Mining Museum / St. Margaret Church. built from 1678 – 1680 in the early baroque style. The tower comes from the previous building, which is already documented for 1337 / Zwölferturm is a 46 m. high tower erected in 1470 / Reifenstein Castle, one of the best-preserved medieval castles in the province / The main street of the town, called the Via Citta Nuova.
Go next : Brixen / Tiso / The town of Merano / Bruneck / Ortisei, a town in the Val Gardena / Vipiteno Located about 15 kilometers south of the Brenner Pass.