Florianopolis is the capital of Santa Catarina, in the Southern Region of Brazil.
About : The city of Florianopolis has about 100 beaches, considered also the continental ones. The beauty of this great diversity of beaches, mountains and Atlantic forest attract thousands of tourists throughout the year, especially during the summer, which makes it the 2nd most visited Brazilian city by foreign tourists (behind only Rio de Janeiro). In addition to holiday tourism, Florianopolis also attracts tourists to business, cultural, artistic, sports, professional events, symposia and conferences, which highlights the city as an important venue for national and international events.
Although part of the city is located on the mainland, most of Florianopolis’s attractions are on the island of Santa Catarina, which earned it the title of Island of Magic. The name of the city is also affectionately abbreviated to Floripa by many Brazilians.
Florianopolis is vibrant. Full of nightlife, it has innumerable options for nightlife, from the most baladeros to the most alternative ones. In the Lagoa da Conceicao and in the north of the island, the night life of the city is concentrated; the first one, more famous for the various bars and nightclubs, the second for the parties, especially in the sophisticated Jurere Internacional neighborhood.
The hills of the city are covered by tropical vegetation cut by hundreds of small waterfalls and streams. There are several ecological trails through the city with low level of difficulty which is an option for outdoor recreation.
Access : Coordinates: -27.612222, -48.485278 / By car : To reach Florianopolis by car, you should use BR-101, which is not through Florianopolis, but through a neighboring city, Sao Jose. The main accesses to the city are: (BR-101), which is located in front of the parking lot of Itapemirim / Penha, passing through the neighborhood of Barreiros (city of Sao Jose), Estreito (now in Florianopolis) and then arriving at the bridge.
Expressway, well signposted, next to Shopping Itaguacu and when coming from the north of the state, skirting the helipad and the flags. When you take the Expressway (BR-282), it ends at the bridge, which connects the mainland of Florianopolis to the Island of Santa Catarina.
By bus : Several companies make transportation to Florianopolis. The Florianopolis Bus Station receives both national and international buses. To consult online the schedules of the buses that arrive or leave Floripa – Terminal Rita Maria, typing “Florianopolis” (without accent) in the destination or origin. Some companies that transport to Floripa: Itapemirim, Penha, Catarinense, 1001, Uniao, Reunidas and Santoanjo. On the MobFloripa site you can have access to all the companies that operate the road transport in the City.
By airplane : Florianopolis has the Hercilio Luz International Airport (FLN) in the southwest of the island. Recently privatized, a new passenger terminal is under construction, which will increase the size of the airport, the capacity of attendance, the number of airline counters and the number of bridges from zero to four.
Ten airlines operate domestic flights to Florianopolis: LATAM, GOL, Avianca Brasil, Azul and Trip and others with direct flights to / from Brasilia, Campinas, Chapeco, Curitiba, Porto Alegre, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires. Aerolineas Argentinas has direct flights between Florianopolis and Buenos Aires during the period from December to March.
Arriving at the airport, users will be able to use means of transport such as buses (for in front of the landing), taxi (parked in front of the airport) or renting cars (companies have booths inside the airport). The MobFloripa Site offers information on urban mobility in Florianopolis.
Get around : For guidance, Florianopolis City Hall offers its tourists a map of the streets, which can be purchased at the city’s tourist portal, located near the bridges that give access to the island, or accessing the street map online.
By bus-minibus : tips to observe before using public transport in Florianopolis:
If you use it several times, buy a tourist card. Thus, you avoid getting around with money to pay for your ticket, in addition to the ticket quit cheaper.
A there are two values ??for the transportation tariff in the municipality of Florianopolis:
$ 3.99 if using fast pass card , R $ 4,20 if you pay in cash , The fare of the Executive bus, better known as “yellow” varies according to the distance to be traveled. They also accept the fast pass card. Buses in Florianopolis usually run from 05:00 to midnight /
By taxi : The taxi fare in Florianopolis is relatively cheap, but worth the caution. Sometimes, depending on the number of passengers and the route, it pays more to use a taxi than a bus , In special cases like weddings, funerals, birthdays etc., the value of the flag may be negotiable. / By car : Car traffic in Florianopolis should be very cautious , On the MobFloripa site you can find information about car rentals, boats and vans in Florianopolis.
- Teatro Pedro Ivo, SC 401. Located next to the headquarters of the State Government, Teatro Pedro Ivo has 732 seats.
- Palacio Cruz e Sousa – Former official residence of the State Governor, Cruz e Sousa Palace is located in the center of Florianopolis, next to Praca XV de Novembro and near the Metropolitan Cathedral.
- Hercilio Luz Bridge , inaugurated in 1926 and with the name of its idealizer, has not worked since 1982, connects the Island of Santa Catarina to the mainland.
- Ribeirao da Ilha – 36km south of the center, this old district of Florianopolis is a witness to the Azorean immigration. Its historic center, in the Parish, has a square in which is the old house, the Church of Our Lady of Lapa do Ribeirao and the Ethnological Museum, which holds documents and pieces that rescue the history of the region. In Ribeirao da Ilha we find several restaurants whose specialty is the oyster, which is grown on the spot.
- Teatro Ademir Rosa (CIC Theater), Av. Irineu Bornhausen, 5600. Administered by the State Government, the Ademir Rosa Theater is the main attraction of CIC (also has cinema, arts workshop, arts museum, among others). It has 956 seats.
- Dunes. A huge area of sand dunes stretching north from Praia da Joaquina and south from the area across the bridge to the east of the Lagoa da Conceicao neighborhood.
- Catedral Metropolitana – One of the most beautiful buildings in Florianopolis, the metropolitan cathedral, is located next to the XV de Novembro Square and next to the Cruz e Sousa Palace./
- Jeronimo Coelho Street, 60 – Centro (near TICEN , Centro Integration Terminal) and the old Customs Building) . Used formerly as the city’s market (in the days when boats docked next to it), it still operates today with several stores. In 2015, it underwent a structural reform opening new restaurants, but the traditional ones remain.
- Fortresses, begun to be built in 1739 (the year in which the construction of the Fortress of Santa Cruz in Anhatomirim began), the fortresses served to protect the city from the attempt of possession of the Spaniards. Other fortresses were also created: Fortress of St. Anthony and Fortress of St. Joseph of Ponta Grossa (1740), Fortress of Our Lady of the Conception (1742), Fortress of Santana (1761).
- Beaches : Of the more than 100 beaches in the city, the following are the best known: North : Sambaqui , Santo Antonio de Lisboa , Cachoeira do Bom Jesus , Daniela , Forte , Jurere , Canasvieiras , Ingleses , Pontas das Canas ,Santinho , Praia Brava // East : Praia da Galheta (nudist) , Barra da Lagoa , Praia da Joaquina , Praia de Mocambique ,
South : Campeche , Armacao , Matadeiro , Pantano do Sul , Acores , Solidao , Saquinho , Morro das Pedras.
Activities : Tour to Anhatomirim – Anhatomirim is an island where a fort was made several years ago to protect the island from invaders. It’s a beautiful place./ Walk to the Island of Campeche – The Island of Campeche is a very beautiful place./ Stroll to Naufragados Beach – The beach is at the southern end of the Island and is only accessible by a footpath or by boat/ Double Paragliding – Practiced on Brava, Santinho and Mole Beach, a double paragliding flight is an exciting outdoor activity.
Rafting on the Rio Cubatao do Sul – Practiced in the city of Santo Amaro da Imperatriz, metropolitan region of Floripa /Surfing at Barra da Lagoa, Praia da Joaquina, and Praia Mole / Windsurfing at Lagoa da Conceicao / Kitesurfing at Lagoa da Conceicao / Hiking at Lagoa do Peri, Naufragados, Lagoinha do Leste, Costa da Lagoa, Barra da Lagoa / Paragliding at Barra da Lagoa, Lagoa da Conceicao / Scuba-Diving at Praia Mole, Praia do Santinho, Praia dos Ingleses / Sandboarding at Joaquina, Lagoa Sandboard/
Go next : Sao Joaquim / Laguna / Garopaba / Tubarao (Santa Catarina) / Balneario Camboriu