Fort Charlotte is a a British-colonial era fortress located in Nassau in the Bahamas.
Fort Charlotte located one mile west of downtown Nassau just off West Bay Street, on a hill overlooking the west end of the harbor and offering an impressive view of Paradise Island, Nassau and its port. It was built in 1788 by Lord Dunmore. Its mission was to protect the western entrance to the port of Nassau from attacks by the Spanish and pirates , The middle bastion, Fort Stanley, and the western part, Fort D’Arcy, were added later. The fort has a moat, dungeons, a drawbridge with underground passages and it was defended by 42 cannons, some of which are on display in the local museum.
Access : Coordinates: 25.077778, -77.358611 /
- Built in 1788 by Lord Dunmore, the fort was named after the wife of King George III, Queen Saharia Charlotte.