The Kimberley is a region in northern Western Australia.
This spectacular region has an area of over 421,000 km2. It is bordered to the east by the Northern Territory, to the south by the Pilbara, to the northwest by the Indian Ocean and to the north by the Timor Sea.
Although none of the mountains here reach even 1,000 meters , there is so much steep land that it makes many areas impassable, especially in the rainy season, although the closed roads are often flooded. The coast is usually steep in the north but flat in the south, all subject to tides.
The Kimberley is a popular tourist destination, with areas such as the Bungle Bungle Range , Gibb River Road , Lake Argyle , El Questro Station , Mornington Sanctuary , Horizontal Falls and Cape Leveque . The Gibb River Road and the access road to the Bungle Bungles are sometimes accessible by two-wheel drive , although one can access many additional areas in a four-wheel drive vehicle .
Access : Coordinates: -16, 126 /
- This region is home to one of Australia’s most famous natural phenomena: the Bungle Bungles , a group of 300-metre-high rocks made of orange-black striped sandstone in the shape of beehives. They are protected in Purnululu National Park .
- The many historical settlements include Broome, the gateway to the Kimberley, which is the largest town in the Kimberley, other cities include , Camballin , Derby , Kununurra and Wyndham.
- Waterfall Reef , an extraordinary tidal phenomenon , off the coast of Cygnet Bay in the Dampier Peninsula.
- On the territory of the Kimberley, in cave DR015, the oldest rock art in Australia was discovered, date back 40,000 years.
- A number of famous Australian aboriginal artists hail from the Kimberley. These artists painted in a style unique to the area, a style initially associated with the Krill Krill ceremony but later known as the Kimberley Art Movement.
- The largest protected areas are Prince Regent National Park and Drysdale River National Park along with Gregory National Park and Keep River National Park across the Northern Territory, parks in the region include Geikie Gorge National Park , Mirima National Park , Mitchell River National Park , Point Coulomb National Park , Purnululu National Park , Tunnel Creek National Park , Windjana Gorge National Park and Wolfe Creek Meteorite Crater National Park .
- Top sights in Kimberley , Western Australia : China Wall – a natural rock formation near Halls Creek / Cape Leveque / James Price Point / Broome’s inner wharf and jetty / Geikie Gorge National Park , Fitzroy River / Bungle Bungles – Echidna Chasm / Lennard River / Old Halls Creek Ruins / The Domes Walk, Purnululu National Park / Cygnet Bay Tidal Falls , a waterfall in the ocean / Cable Beach in Broome / The UNESCO world heritage Purnululu / Mitchell Falls on the Mitchell plateau / Bell Gorge, the Geikie Gorge / Boab Prison Tree / Dampier Peninsula up to Cape Leveque./ Buccaneer Archipelago.
Go next : Broome is a coastal town on the Indian Ocean in the Kimberley region of northern Western Australia . / Fitzroy Crossing.