The Parish of San Miguel Arcángel is a parish church located in the city of San Miguel de Allende, in the state of Guanajuato, Mexico.
History leads us to discover that the parish was built almost from the foundation of San Miguel de Allende in 1555. According to a document from 1649, the church of San Miguel el Grande collapsed after serious deterioration. Around 1680 and 1690 the parish was again in ruins, so another architectural project was launched that culminated approx. in 1709, but with a Baroque-style appearance, totally different from the Neo-Gothic style façade that we appreciate today.
San Miguel Arcángel is currently the main symbol of the city, being one of the most representative religious temples in the country.
Access : Coordinates: 20.913904, -100.743613 / The Parroquia de San Miguel Arcángel is located on the main avenue, in the historic center.
- Its architecture has been the subject of portraits for all the postcards of the city, since it is an example of the neo-Gothic style.
- The reconstruction was carried out by Zeferino Gutiérrez, an indigenous stonemason who designed the current Parish of San Miguel Arcángel, taking inspiration from a postcard that he jealously kept in his neo-Gothic church house in Cologne, Germany.
- The Parish of San Miguel Arcángel also has a German-made organ, which was imported into the country in the 19th century. In one of the side chapels is the sculpture of the Christ of the Conquest, made in the 16th century by artisans from Pátzcuaro, Michoacán. And on the walls of the Parroquia de San Miguel Arcángel de San Miguel de Allende you can admire different canvases from the 17th and 18th centuries, painted by local artists, including the master Juan Rodríguez Juárez.
- San Miguel de Allende is a city in the Mexican state of Guanajuato. It is part of the Bajío macro-region. It is the head of the homonymous municipality and one of the main tourist destinations in Mexico
- This parish church is named after St Michael the Archangel, the patron saint of the city.
Go next : Templo de la Inmaculada Concepcíon / Statue of Ignacio Allende, Plaza Cívica / Casa del Inquisidor, Cuadrante 36. An 18th-century mansion.